General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights

Is there a thread or how to explaining how to be able to turn the fog lights on without turning the headlights on for an '01 camaro SS?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Day or night?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just turn the headlight switch to the parking light position. You can then turn on the fogs that way.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Just turn the headlight switch to the parking light position. You can then turn on the fogs that way.
This.

Otherwise if you are referring to running no headlights at night (why?), before you turn the vehicle on, release the parking brake all the way, then pull it up 1 notch-this will not engage the brake but will keep the headlights from coming on (now you can drive with no lights at all if you want), then just switch the headlight switch to the parking light position mentioned above.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just jumpered the light sensor on the dash. Didn't want the brake light being on all the time.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not saying your car doesn't work that way, but if it does, the wiring has been modified.

The fog lights in an unmodified car will only come on when the headlights are also on (either by using the switch or the automatic sensor that detects low-light and puts them on.)

I have, however, seen numerous cars that are modified to allow the fogs to run with the headlights off.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
Not saying your car doesn't work that way, but if it does, the wiring has been modified.

The fog lights in an unmodified car will only come on when the headlights are also on (either by using the switch or the automatic sensor that detects low-light and puts them on.)

I have, however, seen numerous cars that are modified to allow the fogs to run with the headlights off.
It was not modified.

Well, at first anyway But it worked that way before I started changing things.

I did do a mod later to allow the fogs to stay on when the high beams were on (and also the low and high beams on together mod) but the fogs would turn on with just the parking lights on before I did any of that. Those two mods still did not change the requirement for at least the parking lights to be on for the fogs to turn on.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My fogs come on with just the parking lights as well. Mine isn't modified. Unless you disable the automatic headlights, you can't do just fogs during the night.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
My fogs come on with just the parking lights as well. Mine isn't modified. Unless you disable the automatic headlights, you can't do just fogs during the night.
Now I'm curious if this is something that varied by model year. No matter what I do, my fogs will not come on unless the headlights are on.

They work fine with the headlights on, whether I switch them on in the daytime, or they came on automatically.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
Now I'm curious if this is something that varied by model year. No matter what I do, my fogs will not come on unless the headlights are on.

They work fine with the headlights on, whether I switch them on in the daytime, or they came on automatically.

That's strange. All the LS1 cars I have been around between 98-02 could use them with parking lights and I have been around quite a few. I think whatever is going on is specific to your car. I haven't personally messed with any of the lighting switches though so I'm not sure how it would be made to work with only the headlights.