Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil pressure dropping under load after oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure dropping under load after oil change...

I just started having (or at least noticing this issue yesterday) I changed the oil and took the car for a ride. I noticed the oil pressure was very low (under 10psi at idle) but the engine made no noise and while driving the oil would shoot up to about 40psi and NOT go higher than that. Whenever Id put any load (light or heavy) at just about any RPM the oil would dip down about 5-10 psi depending on how much load I put on it and then shoot back up. So I let it cool over night and this morning the oil pressure was back up around 40 at idle and would shoot to around 60 or so by 2k rpm and then when it was fully warmed up it would settle around 15-20psi at idle..and when driving it would do the same dipping. Engine is built, has around 5k miles on it and im using an SLP oil pump with the high pressure spring for the turbo. I checked the old filter and the oil isn't really even that dirty. There is absolutely no metallic "dust" in the filter. I pop the hood and cannot hear anything out of the ordinary except for maybe a slight tick thats always been there even before the engine was built. Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Ok I just checked the old oil container and there does seem to be slight gold swirl. Spun or worn bearings? Another thing I noticed which is strange is the oil level seems higher than normal..I had the front of the car up in the air(I usually drain it with the passenger side up in the air) but its above the about a 1/4" above the normal range.

Last edited by Snyper; 07-20-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had normal oil pressure and number 6 was spun ,it had gold dust in the oil filter!I should have stop it right then.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

A thrust issue will effect oil pressure but not make noise until clearance is big enough for the crank to move fore and aft.

Don't ask how I know.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your pressure changed right after an oil change, first thing I'd do would be to make sure the right weight oil got put back in. While not likely, always a chance the oil was not labeled correctly. If you have the old filter, cut it open to see what was inside.