Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans/axle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Auto trans/axle question

I'm going to change the fluid and filter out. The car is at 27,000 miles and has obviously sat a lot. I also need to change the axle fluid.. anyways what do you guys recommend for transmission fluid? I saw a good deal on RedLine tranny fluid. I don't think the filter will make much difference but was curious on what fluid is recommended. I have never owned a rear wheel vehicle before this and was wondering if there was any differences in axle fluid. Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluids are like rims, everyone has an opinion. You will get diehards saying STOCK ONLY RECOMMENDED FLUID, some like me suggest something a little better. Always do a filter with a fluid swap. IMO you could do a full fluid swap but that generally takes a shop to do that, as a pan swap only gets some of the fluid.

Your milage I would just do a pan.

As for the rear, I never use synthetic, I don't road race or go long dist. But make sure to get GM Diff Additive if its a clutch type posi.

Go to the automatic trans section and search, ask around. Like said you should get plenty of opinions and tips if your doing this yourself.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like to believe that if you change the fluid when ur supposed to (as you are) it doesnt matter that much what you run. I dont think there is a need for that expensive fancy stuff in the trans and rear, just again make sure to change it often.