View Full Version : Cars Rotting in Barns

PSU_Engineer
03-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Just found this site on Corner-Carvers.com

It's pretty interesting to see old muscle cars rotting away. It's sad also. Some of these cars are way past saving, but others.... (sigh) well it's just a waste. :( http://carsinbarns.com

This one is the saddest though. Read the entire story
http://carsinbarns.com/Superbirds%20&%20Daytonas/pg19.html

Tony

RPM WS6
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Wow. What a story. Truth is, most [even rare] cars wind up going to shit eventually, some just sooner than later.

Pro Stock John
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
And again I spend two hours surfing that site again.

I have over the last 20 years seen some very rare cars in bad condition, like a Hemi Cuda and a rusty Superbird.

PSU_Engineer
03-01-2004, 06:23 PM
And again I spend two hours surfing that site again.

I guess that the site has been posted before. I apologize :emb:

It is a very sad website though. Viewing the old cars makes me want to go and save them; but the reality is you can't do a thing.

Tony

Pro Stock John
03-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I always enjoy that site, thanks for posting it but man I have to look at every picture LOL.

sunsetz28
03-01-2004, 06:26 PM
That website is so sad.:cry: Some of those owners just need to be kicked in the junk for letting those cars go to waste.

ss rally red
03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I think Car & Driver had a take off story from a mailmans point of view seeing the same type of examples on his mail route, it was funny & sad at the same time. :( :)

PiP
03-01-2004, 07:33 PM
I know a guy who has TWO Plymouth superbirds.
The white one is a Hemi, the yellow one is a 440 (not sure is 6 pack)

None are in as rough of shape as the ones at the link, but they both need frame off restoration.
The guy knows what they are though and he has about 20 classic cars that just sit and collect dust in a dirt floor barn.

Just Floor It
03-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Sorry, but If I had to choos an American Muscle car it wouldnt be a GM......MOPAR!!!:headbang:

XtinctHawk02
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
WOW!
I just got surfing the entire website for an hour and a half!
Great site, makes me wanna go out to some woods and look for some old cars and make offers to the owners.

gMAG
03-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Until I saw the rusty Daytona in that barn, I had completely forgotten about a beautiful PINK Superbird w/circular, multicolored roadrunner decal on a tall white wing. It's owner would drive in every friday night to our local hotdog stand. The image of it is as clear as day. It was awe inspiring.

VETTEX2
03-01-2004, 09:47 PM
IT KILLS ME TO SEE THESE WASTING AWAY !

DAMN ! What a bunch of idiots, just letting these things rot away :cry: :doublepuk :twak: :buttkick:

MillaTK
03-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know what Mopar stands for?

01SSM6
03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
not all stories are bad....i remeber seeing a 70 Z/28 and a 72 SS454 chevelle rotting under a tree on a road i regularly owner said theyd been there since 77....i went by recently..both GONE...i asked the owner "what happened to em" he said..."sick of seeing em rot decided to sell em...body man down the road got em...half restored i guess"

PSU_Engineer
03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Move
Over
People
Are
Racin'

GainesvilleLS1
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM

Short for "Motor Parts". Those folk werent all that creative back in the day. lol

Peace.

[__--MUD--__]
03-02-2004, 03:44 AM
As bad as that superbird looks.. it still 100% restorable and worth some money... Buddy of mine heard through word of mouth from some seasonal plumber about a daytona sitting in some garage packed full of shit down south. Me managed to find the car after 3 months. He paid somewhere around 20 grand for the car which looked far worse than the one in that backyard.

Theres an low mileage 89 Turbo TA Hardtop sitting in a barn in my area. Been trying to get that car from this old lady for years...

Jim98WS6
03-02-2004, 08:26 AM
What a cool site. Sad though.

Neil 6.0
03-02-2004, 02:24 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang:
My uncle has a '72 Nova RS that has been sitting back in the pasture rusting away for over 20 years. I've been asking him to sell it to me since I was 15....I'm 28 now. The answer is still "not for sale". Pisses me off. :bang:

Tudds
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I love that site... I want to buy that GT500... I wish I knew where in LI it was so I can go look at it :)

PSU_Engineer
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
My uncle has a '72 Nova RS that has been sitting back in the pasture rusting away for over 20 years. I've been asking him to sell it to me since I was 15....I'm 28 now. The answer is still "not for sale". Pisses me off.

This got me thinking..... Does anyone else have some good stories about cars that they would like to save, but the owner is reluctant to sell?
I have one. A while back while still in college I went with my then girlfriend to get an estimate on getting her car repainted. In the back of the garage next to the paint shop was an unrestored 71 Torino (Cobra)? rotting away in the weeds; Grabber blue with a shaker scoop. I never asked if it was for sale. It could still be there for all I know.

Tony

Villain281H
03-02-2004, 08:51 PM
mna, that site made me get almost misty-eyed, especially b/c I work for a resto parts company and I know how many people want cars like these...damn shame :bang:

Derek

DeepBlueZ
03-04-2004, 02:04 AM
i cant believe the amount of times ive seen the words "will be restored one day".....the owners of those rustboxes actually think they're just going to magically have time and interest in them suddenly....damn shame....if an enthusiast wants to come save it...let them.

z98
03-04-2004, 10:51 AM
I know where there is a 440 baracuda with a tree growing in it :(

00Streak
03-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I soo know the pain of seeing a car rotting in a barn. A buddy of mine moved into his Father in Laws house with his wife after they got married. The house was unoccupied due to his father in law being in jail for killin a dude. Inside the barn wana 100 percent original 1983 split window vette. along with about 3 other vintage vettes. all rotting away.. i begged and pleaded for him to sell em to me but he said he couldnt becuase his father in law would want them when he got out.... in 25 years..the old man would be like 70 before he got out..wtf is he gonna do with the cars then??

sunsetz28
03-04-2004, 11:26 AM
I rescued 3 cars from my uncle's barn and field. One is a 63 skylark that I will probably sell if anyone offers. The other 2 are called Apollos. They aren't Buick Apollos. These cars look like a 60's Jag or Ferrari, but they have American (GM) powertranes, ie. 215 alluminum block V8s, 330 olds and 327 chevies. They weigh aroun 2000 lbs. They are both in restoration right now. There were only 39 made before the company went out of business.

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//6/d/5122//.large/apollo_12_primer.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//6/d/5122//.large/apolloblkbk.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//6/d/5122//.large/apolloblkfrt.jpg

SuperbirdGirl
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
It's a 1970 440-6, Competition Orange on black, automatic with 41,000 miles. The car is rust-free but it will need a little TLC. The paint is original and the interior is in good shape. Does anyone here happen to know how much it's worth? :drive:

maximumrebel1
03-20-2005, 12:51 AM
How could you let some of those cars go?

I know a barn near a friend's house with a black GTO (not sure the year) and a 429 ford motor. Both covered in dust. I went and just sat in the GTO, there is something that old muscle cars have that newer cars just don't and probably never will. I wish they would revive that GTO it would be so badass.

69chevy
03-20-2005, 08:27 PM
i got a '69 camaro that was sitting behind a friends house for a long time, about 3 years. the thing that got me was that we had looked at the car when i was about 14 and we just passed it up telling our selves that we'll find another one in better condition, yada yada. well, those 3 years later, we're still looking for a '69 camaro so we go back to look at the same car, still sitting in the same spot. this time its in worse condition of course cuz its sitting under a tree and had a huge root growing through the engine compartment (no engine or tranny) and a bunch of other stuff. anyways, we talk to the owner which is our friend and we strike a deal. the car was in worse shape than thought, but hey, i saved its life, haha. and now its on its way to being a bad street car. :) i have actual photos of where it sat for a while but i dont have a scanner :( anyways, that's my story for my car. sorry for it being a bit long.

Cody Brooks
03-20-2005, 09:58 PM
i know where 3 amc javelins are and several 2nd and 3rd gen TAs and Camaros are. the javelins are not worth the time to see if they are for sale. the TAs and camaros are worth working on but I've talked to some people that talked to the owner and said he wouldn't sell giving the typical " I'll restore them someday". Now that I think of it I should go talk to the guy myself see if cash in hand changes his attitude.

BizZzatch350
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
A lot of those cars are so far gone unless you have a large budget you wont have the money to restore them.

Phoenix 5.7
03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
that superbird reminds me of the one in Joe Dirt. its so sad to see cars rotting like that, especially rare ones

DeepBlueZ
03-20-2005, 11:48 PM
It's a 1970 440-6, Competition Orange on black, automatic with 41,000 miles. The car is rust-free but it will need a little TLC. The paint is original and the interior is in good shape. Does anyone here happen to know how much it's worth? :drive:

if it's in as good a shape as you say and it's really all original, id say its probably worth QUITE A BIT if you cleaned it up!

wing cars are going for insane prices lately. :nod:

Laser96WS6
03-21-2005, 01:34 AM
if it's in as good a shape as you say and it's really all original, id say its probably worth QUITE A BIT if you cleaned it up!

wing cars are going for insane prices lately. :nod:

Yeah I'd say upwards of $50,000 if its all original and still in ok shape. They are really pricey now. Got this off nada guides. www.nadaguides.com.

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price

$32,700 $56,800 $89,900

Options

Road Runner 440 V8 Engine 30% 30% 30%

TOTAL PRICE $42,510
$73,840
$116,870

demonspeed
03-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Sorry, but If I had to choos an American Muscle car it wouldnt be a GM......MOPAR!!!:headbang:

Charger Daytona for me. I'd "settle" for a LS-6 Chevelle 4 spd. :)

BADMOFO
03-21-2005, 08:36 AM
I can't look at that anymore....I've seen enough.

badjuju342
03-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I believe I originally posted that website here , but it is a great website to check out. It does make one sad to see those beautiful cars going to waste and the owners refusing to sell them yet doing nothing to save them , either.I would love to own a Daytona Charger or a Superbird. They were just looked like they were at WOT even parked. Those musclecars are an icon of a past era we'll never see again , they deserve to be saved and cherished for future generations to enjoy and remember.

MARKSZ71
03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
love that site,my father has a buddy that owns a 66 vette 427 425 hartop,been sitting in a small shed for 20 years.WILL NOT SELL

DeepBlueZ
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Charger Daytona for me. I'd "settle" for a LS-6 Chevelle 4 spd. :)

i'd go mopar too. but i'm all about the no-frills cars. i'd definitely take a 69 Super Bee or Road Runner with a 440 Six Pack. there's something so ugly about the flat black, pin-on hood with the big scoop, manual steering, bench seats and black steel wheels that's just beautiful. :devil:

even more evil would be a Super-stock Hemi Dart. granted there were only like 40 of these ever built, but still, how crazy is a 426 Hemi in a lightweight dart with a full fiberglass front end. :eek2:

MillaTK
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow... this thread is O-L-D... and that site is still depressing...

ACW
03-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Yep, old thread but still sad. :(
I believe I originally posted that website here , but it is a great website to check out. It does make one sad to see those beautiful cars going to waste and the owners refusing to sell them yet doing nothing to save them , either.I would love to own a Daytona Charger or a Superbird. They were just looked like they were at WOT even parked. Those musclecars are an icon of a past era we'll never see again , they deserve to be saved and cherished for future generations to enjoy and remember.
:werd:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-valuable.shtml has these general value estimates:
1970 Plymouth Superbird 426 Hemi - $84,000
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440+6 - $48,775

shandy294
03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I had a 71 Demon 340,4-spd,3.55 posi that I sold in 78 for $200.00 . I
bought it when I was overseas in the Army. Was a fun car and was in need of a engine rebuild when I sold it. I had just bought a 78 G-10. Wish I had that A-body back.

My cousin restored his 69 4-4-2 (orig owner) ...engine was rblt in Baltimore and dyno'd 637hp(according to the builder). I rode in it in December during a visit. It's a 4-spd,rear is 3.54(?) posi. He only hit about 4k in 1st and somewhat less in 2nd. He's kind of leary about really nailing it...at least so far...500 miles since work done.

I knew a guy who abandoned a 67 4-4-2 a long time ago because some creditors caught up with him. It was his driver (he wasn't a car guy) and after a few months,a bunch of shit got stolen off of it.

It is depressing to see old muscle rust away like that. Yeah,those old muscle cars were not sophisticated and well-mannered like current stuff but they were a lot of fun to drive and ride in. The best I rode in was a 66 Coronet 500 with a 426 Hemi that was a little bit more than stock...fun ride!
Other good ones were a guy's 66 GTO 389-335 4-spd. He later had a 69 Road Runner 383 auto and a 71 454 SS Chevelle that got stolen and stripped.

Kraest
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Blah...those pics make me want to get a flatbed and start taking those cars, removing the VINs, and restoring them as show cars/track cars (obviously since you wouldn't be able to register them for a license without a VIN ;) )

Nevermind me... that's just the Italian coming out... :lol:

Mike

superbird440
03-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Tony,
That Superbird is currently being restored! I sent in that story and pictures to Cars in Barns a number of years ago. I found the car again on an internet site for Pro1 auto two years ago-
http://sabek210.kattare.com/production.php

The guy who bought the original wing from that car contacted me and sent pictures-
http://public.fotki.com/superbird440/automotive/where_the_wing_went/

Here is a link to pictures of the car today-
http://public.fotki.com/superbird440/automotive/marys_superbird/

The car is being restored by the son of the original owner! He drove it in High School. Feel free to email me at: superbird440@juno.com if you would like to chat...
Dominick

Tudds
03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Tony,
That Superbird is currently being restored! I sent in that story and pictures to Cars in Barns a number of years ago. I found the car again on an internet site for Pro1 auto two years ago-
http://sabek210.kattare.com/production.php

The guy who bought the original wing from that car contacted me and sent pictures-
http://public.fotki.com/superbird44..._the_wing_went/

Here is a link to pictures of the car today-
http://public.fotki.com/superbird44...arys_superbird/

The car is being restored by the son of the original owner! He drove it in High School. Feel free to email me at: superbird440@juno.com if you would like to chat...
Dominick
thats awesome!