LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

MPG with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG with A/C on

I never drive with my A/C on but today hit 100 so i decided to put it on. I usually get 18 mpg city but with the A/C on i got about 13. So my question to you guys is what do you guys usually get with the A/C on..

07 SS
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

The A/C minimally affects my car. On the highway the instant MPG might change .5 mpg. For example, I just went on a 2 hour drive today and all the way here with temp in the 100* F area, with the A/C on and going 70 mph, I had an average of 24.8 mpg.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

City it will hurt you a little more. On the highway it's actually better on gas than the drag caused by open windows.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Im fine with the Hwy. But how's the city mpg for you guys?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We drive all highway, and MPG with AC on our off is about the same.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I get some pretty significant MPG changes, I haven't verified it over any amount of time but it's close to 2-3 MPG.

One of the things I've tried, and it's worked to some degree, is to turn the AC on until you are comfortable and then turn it off, but keep the blower on about half way and change the circulation to circulate the inside air. The car recirculates the relatively colder air and gives you about 10 ish minutes of no a/c compressor before it starts getting hot again or more depending on how hot it is outside. This is about twice as long as if you just turn it off and let hot air bleed in/heat from direct sunlight. Bad thing is the air smells musty after a bit...

Since I'm weird, I even go as far as turning off my day time running lights when I get in the car, turn the HUD off when I'm cruising, TC/SC usually stays off too unless it's raining/snowing out (not sure if it changes the continuous current draw or if it would just help to prevent power usage if it engages). I guess any load taken off of the alternator should help compensate. I've come to the conclusion though it just decreases the quality of the ride while you are in the car! I wish alternator efficiencies didn't suck so bad could maybe grab another HP and better fuel economy!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redlightrampage
I get some pretty significant MPG changes, I haven't verified it over any amount of time but it's close to 2-3 MPG.

One of the things I've tried, and it's worked to some degree, is to turn the AC on until you are comfortable and then turn it off, but keep the blower on about half way and change the circulation to circulate the inside air. The car recirculates the relatively colder air and gives you about 10 ish minutes of no a/c compressor before it starts getting hot again or more depending on how hot it is outside. This is about twice as long as if you just turn it off and let hot air bleed in/heat from direct sunlight. Bad thing is the air smells musty after a bit...

Since I'm weird, I even go as far as turning off my day time running lights when I get in the car, turn the HUD off when I'm cruising, TC/SC usually stays off too unless it's raining/snowing out (not sure if it changes the continuous current draw or if it would just help to prevent power usage if it engages). I guess any load taken off of the alternator should help compensate. I've come to the conclusion though it just decreases the quality of the ride while you are in the car! I wish alternator efficiencies didn't suck so bad could maybe grab another HP and better fuel economy!
Hmm, never thought of that. Awesome advice!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

doing my mpg check this week
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by donati98ta
doing my mpg check this week
Sweet let us know how it turns out. I'll do the same but I'm going to log a bunch of different crap and make some nerdy matrix.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks fellas
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

What I do sometimes when im on the highway I turn the AC off when I need to pass someone or speed up and cut it back on when im back crusing. Pretty sure it helps, because when I go I go!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtMCSS
What I do sometimes when im on the highway I turn the AC off when I need to pass someone or speed up and cut it back on when im back crusing. Pretty sure it helps, because when I go I go!
The A/C compressor will automatically disengage on it own at anything more than 60% throttle, IIRC, so there's a good chance it's already off when you pass.