New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb - First post

Old 03-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Newb - First post

Hey all, great forum here. I've read quite a bit of threads here, so I'll try not to ask the most obvious newb questions.

Simply put, I'm looking for a nice, slightly used V8 RWD car. I currently have a Dodge Durango that I've modded a good amount and I'm happy with it. 0-60 in under 7 secs, which isn't bad for a 4,600 SUV.

Previous to that I had a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 that I kept for 9 years and loved it.

Point is, I miss it, the power, performance, the fun.

I got to thinking though, instead of buying another 'stang, why not look at a Camaro or Firebird? Afterall, more than a liter more displacement (4.6 vs 5.7l) they're affordable, since discountinued sadly, but therefore more rare, and pretty reliable.

So that being said here are my newb questions:

1) Any recommendations for which LS1? Camaro, Firebird, Firehawk? It will be a daily driver, with focus being on speed in a straight line.

2) Auto or Stick? I think all sports cars should have a stick, but I could be wierd like that. Plus isn't there a 1-4 shift thing which I've heard is a pain in the butt?

3) Is an LS1 faster than a stock Mustang GT? I think it would be but you guys would know better.

4) Anything to watch out for when looking to buy a used one? Recalls, issues, etc?

5) Lastly, and this is controversial, so forgive me in advance. Being a former Mustang guy, I've always kinda had a bad impression of people driving camaro's, the sterotypical stuff. Of course, being continually blown off the line, by Camaro's and Firebirds didn't help. I just want a base muscle car that's affordable, poweful, easy to mod, and looks pretty good. This whole inline 4 cylinder tubro craze just isn't for me. (I'm 34). I've always had this fantasy of building a Mad-Max-Mobile, Huge V8, very fast, ya know something you could drive around when the end of the world comes, and ... OK, too much info!

And there it is. Love to hear from anyone really, and I'm not trying to start anything. Forgive my ignorance in advance.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe u should try out a Lt1 first? there are plenty out there and for good prices. About half of what u would pay for an LS1. But if u reall want an LS1, then of course i would say get a Camaro. If u dont want to pay much for it, i would look into a 98/99 model. If all u are looking for is straight line performance, get an automatic, since it would also be a daily driver. Sticks are fun to drive but it does get annoying every single day of driving around city. Just my .02

And Welcom Aboard
Old 03-01-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If looks don't matter I would look into a Camaro Z28, or a Formula I'm not saying these don't look good but you arent paying for a hood, rims or some special build #, performance wise they are about the same. As far as problems there are a few some kinda major and some minor like bubbles in the paint on the roof, a major prob. This is a bit of a heated debate but I know when I buy another F-body the first thing I will listen for is piston slap (do a search you will find plenty) I kinda feel I got screwed on mine for having it, but when they are brand new they don't have it(well atleast you can't hear it). Autos can do very good in the 1/4mi with a good stall, and the 6spd is very mean from a roll and has the fun factor. Yes LS1's are faster than GT's by a good bit, also f-bodys are pretty simple to mod and prices are on the way down for mods...Good luck, you came to the right place

Last edited by AK's WS6; 03-01-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome, thanks guys for the input. Truthfully, I'm looking at a 2000 - 2002 Camara SS. I like the look and the hood scoop is wicked.

I'll probablly go for the auto - if it's even available in the SS.

Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Something like this 2001 Camaro SS with 32K miles on it, T-tops, for $18,500. : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6161

Man the prices are good on LS1's.

Last edited by alextaylor29; 03-02-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

and that's also a good buy
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Or this one, wow an SS convertible! http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=21

Or this one! Check out the mods on it wow, a bit high on mileage, but for 17K and all those Mods! http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=26

What was I thinking of about a Mustang! Overpriced and under powered, wow really no comparisons. I'm sold.

Last edited by alextaylor29; 03-02-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:15 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Be careful if you buy a stock LS1 used.
Be VERY careful if you buy a car that is already modded.

These cars were made to go fast, and most people do just that.
If the car has been modded, even more reason tellin you the owner
got into it quite a bit.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

OK, good points, I'll stick with a low mileage used SS, stock. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls1 is the only way to go, it's the best bang for the buck
Old 03-02-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man congratulations on making the right decision to buy an LS1 over the modular/mustang stuff. LS1s are nice and have quite a bit of pep right out of the box. You'll be very happy with your decision, probably especially considering you're coming over from an SUV and before that a 5.0, not necessarily meaning to knock on either of those. As for you questions, my answers are:

1.) Obviously this is a judgment call based upon your individual tastes. Either way you're still getting the LS1 powerhouse. If one of your main things is speed, one main consideration with the cars is weight. The lighter weight cars are the Z-28 and Formulas. I'd only buy an SS or WS6 if you can't live without the looks or you intend on keeping the car stock. Also, with speed in mind again, don't make my mistake...get a 01' or '02 that way you'll get the benefits(minus the cam) of the LS6 components.

2.) I share you opinion. If it's performance it needs to be driven. Therefore requiring a driver. Not to say that automatic drivers aren't drivers but manuals are great because you have so much DRIVER input. And if you're not planning to get to serious with the modifications You shouldn't have any problems driving it at the strip, you'll just have a lot more fun slamming through the gears. Added on M6s are lighter and get better gas mileage

3.) In short, YES! Depends on how technical you're wanting to get. But on a car vs. car basis. Yes, LS1s are quicker.

4.) I bought used and am very happy. Mine was bone stock minus a K&N filter. As others have said watch out for mileage and mods. That just gives you the opportunity to know exacly what things are on your car. You dont' have to worry about the quality of the parts installed and if something goes wrong you'll most more than likely have a better idea of what it is.

5.) You're former frustrations with Camaro drivers was probably because you were the losing competition as you suggested. Most of the folks on here and other guys that I know are cool with mustang drivers unless they aren't cool with them/us. Once again I think you've made the right decision to get an LS1. I think it fits your criteria rather nicely.

Sorry for the length just trying to help out as much as I can. I'm always happy to help someone out with the awesome decision of getting an LS1. I've only owned mine for 8-9 months now but already I'm in love. Oh yeah, real quickly before I end this beast of a post...you say speed/daily driver. If speed is a serious concern why even consider a Convertible? I have T-tops so I can't say to much. Just kind of wondering.

Good luck with your selection,

Justin
Old 03-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Unforgiven, thanks very much for posting here. This kind of advice is exactly what I'm looking for. And you're correct, my former frustrations with Camaro's were all on my end (nothing they did really) as I always got beaten by them in an informal race. (on the track of course...ahem).

I still can remember when I used to have my stang, which was pretty quick, base mods, etc, a slight twinge of nervousness would come over me, when an LS1 would pull up near me, because almost everytime, I knew they'd be faster. I'd be like talking to myself (don't look at them, don't do it....) (...just keep looking straight ahead...)

The thing is today, for guys like me looking for an affordable, powerful, RWD V8 cars, there isn't much. Mustang, GTO, Corvette, etc. However the 300+ HP version of all these cars are over $30K, where for an LS1, I can get a nice used 2001, SS for $18,500. Simply put, LS1's are a great value for the money.

I'm getting married in June, but by the end of this year, I'm looking to buy. Perhaps sooner, but the fiancee would be a bit upset before the wedding. (You just bought WHAT??!!) Even though it's my money strangely.

This would be a 2nd car for me, I'd still use my Durango for the daily driver, and the LS1 for fun.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input.

Alex

Search this Thread