Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

So will our cars be worth money in 15-20 years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So will our cars be worth money in 15-20 years?

I'm debating selling my car. I have a buyer for 20k and seriously thinking about it cause I've been wanting to get a used Zo6 for years. I just don't want to kick myself in the *** in 15 years finding out it's worth big money then. On the other hand what about if it's only worth 20k in 15 years then I'll be pissed I didn't sell it haha. So what some thought's from you guys about this? Keep the SS and enjoy it the 4 times a month I drive it or sell it and get a Z. Car is paid for so it's nice not to have a payment. Oh and if I get a Z it will have to be a 01-04 cause my wife won't let me have a car payment
Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

I imagine the LE SS, Firehawks, and CETAs will be more valuable (certainly the Firebird variants) but no more than their original stickers (say $30-$40k) in 15 yrs time. That's for low mileage, stock examples. With inflation that gain will be negligible, so if you'd drive the Z and enjoy it more often, then I think you get the Z. I like silver with red seats...#drool

Just one man's opinion...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Drive it. Enjoy it.
Or sell it, & drive something else.
But don't save it simply becasue you think it'll be worth more in many years.
If you think it's an investment, you'd better sell it & re-invest that cash in other markets that are more promising.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Drive it. Enjoy it.
Or sell it, & drive something else.
But don't save it simply becasue you think it'll be worth more in many years.
If you think it's an investment, you'd better sell it & re-invest that cash in other markets that are more promising.
Not really saving it for an investment. I do drive it and enjoy the **** out of it. Just having such a rare car keeps me from selling it cause I do have in the back of my mind that it could be worth alot of money someday. I just don't want to be that guy that said "damnit, I should of kept it". I think my other factor is going from a vert to a hardtop car.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
Not really saving it for an investment. I do drive it and enjoy the **** out of it. Just having such a rare car keeps me from selling it cause I do have in the back of my mind that it could be worth alot of money someday. I just don't want to be that guy that said "damnit, I should of kept it". I think my other factor is going from a vert to a hardtop car.
Sell it and get the Zo6 man. They are great cars and once you start driving that thing i'm sure you'll love it. Especially how it handles and sounds with a good catback. I don't think you'll get much more than 20k for your car in the future. Maybe? But who knows...That's a lot of money for a 10-11 year old car regardless of how rare it is...It's an outdated nice LS1 when you look at it realistically....A collector would appreciate the rarity, but why not be the guy who says, "Yeah, i used to have a rare SS and sold it for 20k for a Zo6". Lol, that sounds cool to me.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my 16yr.old '95 Hawk isn't worth much but emotions... and some think their cars are worth more then they really are,
example: http://inventory.rk-motors.com/CarDe...asp?VIN=132328
^^^ my personal opinion on this one, not worth nearly $40k for a modified Firehawk that doesn't break 500 rear wheel and isn't super limited for what he's selling it for. you can get a far more rare '92 Firehawk for the price this guy is asking for or a 99-02 hawk with less then 50kmiles for under $25k and be just as nice. it's a nice car if you have the $$ to burn and all you plan on doing is looking at it.

completely bone stock hawks with little to no miles(?) maybe worth a little more down the road Vs. what nada claims but over all i think value ultimately be determined by to what the buyer is willing to pay in comparison to what the seller is willing to take ....and in this economy.......... some are willing to take less then what one is worth
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I think in this economy, most people don't have too much money to pay out for a car, so they're all buying used. More demand for used cars means higher prices. 2010 Camaros with 30k miles have been selling for only a few thousand less than what a 2011 costs new. Used car prices are up
Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1975 I owned a 1968 Camaro SS 396/375hp car, I sold it for $2000. Today I am saying that I should have kept that car, It would be worth a ton of money. It's a tuff decision to make.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably Cetas, firehawks, 35th anniversary, but unless you got an ultra rare interior/ exterior combo fully optioned ss with very low miles. Maybe
Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cars aren't an investment until they are around 30 years old. At that point, they sometimes increase in value... but let's be honest here... that increase in value is mostly due to inflation (money not being worth what it used to be) and the cost of maintaining the vehicle (even just state inspections and insurance) over that 30 year period is not money you are going to get back.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
In 1975 I owned a 1968 Camaro SS 396/375hp car, I sold it for $2000. Today I am saying that I should have kept that car, It would be worth a ton of money. It's a tuff decision to make.

Every decade since the early 60's thru the present had its share of great musclecars that's why their will always be some sort of value in the long term compared to your average people mover.

Obviously besides the model you have to factor in the cars value based on the cars overall condition, mileage, its content or lack there of and numbers built vs numbers still in existence.

Not everyone would agree with me but I'd consider a low mile excellent condition 98 purple metallic Trans Am more rare and more valuable than say 100K mile CETA.

But it's all up to the OP and what gives him peace of mind and satisfaction.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

SS, ws6 will be worth money eventually over time not as much as a blackbird but it will have value. They are highly desired cars, and the ones that are the top of line like ss and ws6 are always worth decent numbers it seems but not as much as the rarest.
These cars will be worth more now that gm stopped making them for a while to reinvent a crappier version. Yea they may be alright looking but they are not what they were in 98-02 in performance wise. They are so heavy and just to bulky looking.

Yenkos are worth alot now, so those of you that have a blackbird hold on to it, it will be worth a crapton in 20 yrs.

F-bodys are highly desired cars now, imagine in 20 yrs when there is about 50% less on the street!

Mileage probably wont matter as much as long as you have all your work documented.
Dont get me wrong though a car with the true mileage like 2000miles on it or so will be worth a decent amount more but not much.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Keep the vett
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have a Vette yet Hookngo but looks like I will sell the vert. Gonna miss it but good things to come as soon as I can find a EB Z that already has some mods on it. I don't want to have to go thru all the modding again.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

As Steve Miller Sang, Go on take the money and Run. But really, if you still like the car, keep it. Is it paid for? If we all could look into the future, we'd be some rich dudes. No body knows. We can only assume based on past experience. I mean most way back in the day thought we'd be into flying cars by now without any roads. If that ever happens, I'd say these and any other car won't be worth a penny. Just my 0.02. From one SOM to another, Nice Ride.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i almost traded my ws6 in on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOWR...item56450967bc but chickened out at the last minute due to financial issues lol. but i plan on having a c6 z06 within a year and put the ws6 in the garage
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Luckily my dad has been in the car hobby for years and has allowed me to experience and drive a lot of different cars. Having said that, you will not be disappointed with a C5 Z06. About 1.5 years ago, I sold my Phase 2X Blackbird to get a 8k original mile C5 Z06. I never regret the decision. My wife likes it a lot better too. Occasionally, I do miss the convertible top but not a lot. C5 Z06s are extremely underrated right now. I think they’re a wonderful bargain.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

vettes insur prices r outrageous though, so keep that in mind. My friend pays 1400 for 6months on a reg c5 and only liability he is only 22 though but that still is alot
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Collector car insurance is only about $350-400 a year. However, you can't drive it daily.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I got some quotes and actually my insurance would be lower. I am 42 with a clean record so guessing that has a lil to do with it.

Quick Reply: So will our cars be worth money in 15-20 years?