Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe/ OR pipe recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Y pipe/ OR pipe recomendation

I currently have stock manifolds, SLP 3" Y pipe. I need to replace the Y pipe due to hitting a few bumps over the years and it has dents, creases. I want to remove the cats also. Adding Headers is not an option at this time. I see the WS6 store sells 3-4 brands of bolt on to the stock manifolds off road Y pipes. Is any one better than the rest? Mufflex sells cat deletes for $300 shipped but too much $$. I just want the one complete kit. Ya it will be louder which is what I want.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything with a good merge,
Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait for headers and y pipe combo other wise you end up practically buying two y pipes making the old for to fit the new headers cost .
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My OEM drivers side cat went out so I decided to just ditch the stock Y and run an O/R Y that fits onto the stock manifolds in it's place. I'm running the stock GM SS catback as well. It sounds good, a lot louder than bone stock, it's just that it's on the raspy side at most points in the RPM range unless you're either down really low, or up really high, which can be a negative to most, but I actually kind of like it.

You might want to browse through LMPerformance, that's where I got my Stainless Works from. I'm also pretty sure that as long as the pipes you're looking at are the same size, the differences between the brands would be minimal, if any at all. Maybe a different material would be used or something like that but nothing major.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reeperz28
Wait for headers and y pipe combo other wise you end up practically buying two y pipes making the old for to fit the new headers cost .
Agreed