LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)

Well the motor is almost complete. Awaiting on a dyno session where the motor will be broken in and datalogged with egt sensors in all the primaries as well as dual widebands. it will be setup and basline tuned as well. Obviously the tune will change in the car under a different load but the highly experienced tuner will be able to set all the tables for me. 8500 rpm engine dyno videos coming soon !

Few details.. 370 ci LT4. 3.625 stroke 6.2 rod Honda journal magnum xlxl (extra lightened over the xl) crank. Billet one off LS1 firing order (not 4/7) solid roller cam almost .700 lift . hollow valves and all the top of the line stuff available. The AFR elims were just coming out when I was rebuilding a new motor after my last one (388ci) blew up (shoppe left rocker nut loose so lash was very large, keeper broke dropped intake valve). i wanted to go with them but my shoppe that built my previous motor straight up told me I wasnt welcome there and neither was the car if I chose AFR heads he wanted to hand port LT4 heads again for me but I wasnt prepared to wait another 4 years for him to finish another pair. First build was a great learning experience for me and Im happy the motor blew up. it wasnt good enough.

i ended up using GM LT4 castings again mainly because I already had them and because everything was a compromise with the LTX platform. My Cylinder head guy was telling me to just go 15 degree sbc heads converted to reverse flow but then the block can only be a factory ltx. Since Im running a gen 7 DFI with distributor I could have just went aluminum SBC gen 1 block with 15 degree heads and a sheet metal Hogan for a manifold which my cyl head guys told me would easily make 120+ hp over lt4 heads/intake. I shied away from it because I would have needed custom headers and get someone to machine the accessory brackets etc. All seemed intimidating to me especially considering I didnt have a local shoppe to deal with. I decided to see how much power I could make out of LT4 stuff and go with it.

Anyhow here's a few pics Im sure people will like !

Fresh block obviously 2 bolt main machined for 4 bolt splayed Program Engineering Billet caps at all 5 locations.

Crower Billet Maxilight w/upgraded bolts of course. Mahle Pistons. Lightweight pins wire locks etc

Callies Magnum XL with Honda Journals with extra lightening. i tried tp pay Callies to polish the whole thing but they refused. sigh

GM 21Xcc CNC'd LT4 Cylinder heads. Ferrea Hollow stem valves, Xceldyne springs coated, tool steel retainers and locks etc

Of course Morel hIPPO solid roller lifters. Mahle coated Pistons in block.

Crank in the block

Titan Billet Pro Gerotor oil pump and pickup.

Jeff Johnston Billet fab Oil pan for Gerotor pump. truly laughs in the face of the canton pan i used previously at least in terms of build quality. you get what you pay for !

I think ill call it the LT4s. Custom LS1 firing order billet solid roller. And fully lightened and optioned T&D shaft rockers.

Shafts on the Head

Cool shot of valve lift Cyl head guys said my valvetrain will handle overrev to 9000 no problems Wont need to go that high ever lol.

Car is fully modded all around. Whole suspension. WHole braking system. Chassis. Drivetrain etc etc. All it needed was the Hear of a Lion and it's coming !!:canadaflag:
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Short vid of my favourite pics and Dyno video (with cats that were later removed) and a 2nd gear blast through a tunnel turn it up !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnL5ouKLno

Last edited by Nastyc4; 07-22-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude thats sick. Amazing and different i love it.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

jesus, top notch right there.

$$$$$
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like ur building one hell of a setup here ........ill be watching

and that valve train prob will go that high.......ive been 8500 with mine before when the trans didn't shift
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool build! Some nice parts in there!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice pics. Sounds like your gonna have a pretty fun car once its done.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, this build endorsed that it wont fail by

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
looks like ur building one hell of a setup here ........ill be watching
Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Cool build! Some nice parts in there!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the kind words guys ! I'm definitely doing my best to make sure I have all bases covered with this build. My inspiration will always be having been in a Ferrari and hearing it scream. Ive had a few sportbikes (gxr 600/750) and loved revving the snot out of them. I love F1. Ive always been a rpm guy. I knew it would cost me and ive been in the doghouse the last 6 years with the wife because of it
My last motor blew up right after I got married saving for a house. Got a house and a daughter and another kid on the way soon so i took my time with this build. its been worth the wait so far
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Killer build, I love the attention to detail. LT4 castings are nice in the right hands, but I still would have went with AFR heads - JMHO .

Didn't see any intake mentioned. Supervic?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You said you changed the firing order? How and why? I'm new to internals of a motor. Just wondering what the advantages would be is all.

Looks great!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
You said you changed the firing order? How and why? I'm new to internals of a motor. Just wondering what the advantages would be is all.

Looks great!
Well the primary reason is because i wanted a unique sound. The LT4 388 I built before sounded like a screaming elephant at 8000 rpm and I loved it. to be totally honest, and im being honest here I'm hoping I dont regret it because the LT1 has a better sound than an ls1. Other reasons were Ive read that the ls1 firing order is the ideal firing order it has better balance and harmonics. i figured for high rpm it can only be beneficial.

The internals on the crank actually dont change. The cam changes so that instead of a certain cylinder being on the intake stroke it will be on the power stroke etc and the computer will change injector firing etc. all this is programmable in my gen 7 DFI.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Adding my youtube vid in the 2nd post
Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Puck
Killer build, I love the attention to detail. LT4 castings are nice in the right hands, but I still would have went with AFR heads - JMHO .

Didn't see any intake mentioned. Supervic?
I hear ya. I actually was going to rebuild my previous motor with the shoppe I was associated with. SInce he hand ported heads I ended up buying LT4 castings because AFR is an obvious competitor. When I decided to sell the LT4 heads to go AFR the shoppe turned all ferocious and said the hell with me and they wont deal with me or touch my car if I buy AFR heads SO there I was not wanting to deal with tools like they were and LT4 castings in my hands I decided to just build off it. Tony was Great to deal with but the 195s I believe were coming out and 210s were later etc and I wanted massive heads.

Intake is a hogged LT4
Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

My future plans once this motor is running is quite different for the top end. I will have the cyl head guys do 12 or 15 degree SBC heads converted to reverse flow. I will do a Hogan sheet metal manifold with a removable plenum with absolutely giant volume similar to a E39 BMW M5 intake manifold that will mate to the spread port heads (not sure if spread port can be done havent looked into it yet). SInce I wa splanning to have EM custom make me stainless 1 3/4 to 2" headers I know they can probably do them spread port for me for the new heads. First this needs to get rolling though
Old 07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
My future plans once this motor is running is quite different for the top end. I will have the cyl head guys do 12 or 15 degree SBC heads converted to reverse flow. I will do a Hogan sheet metal manifold with a removable plenum with absolutely giant volume similar to a E39 BMW M5 intake manifold that will mate to the spread port heads (not sure if spread port can be done havent looked into it yet). SInce I wa splanning to have EM custom make me stainless 1 3/4 to 2" headers I know they can probably do them spread port for me for the new heads. First this needs to get rolling though
I've always wanted to go SB2.2s w/ GM spider intake + as many spacers I can fit on it...it needs custom everything though and I don't have that kind of cash!

I've never used it, but from what I have seen the cost of the Hogans usually does not match up to the benefit compared to a MUCH cheaper ported single plane...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice build! its nice to see a top notch build over all the cookie cutter ones out there. The steps you took will provide a long lasting relationship between you and the engine. Congrats on the build and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

This exactly the reason i joined this fourm in the middle of rebuilding my self all though not goin as big great to see guys out there still tearing into the ltx good luck looks badass
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

one Helluva sweet build!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

BADASS!!!! I love the car I like the idea of a 4/7 swapped 370ci LTx, I may copy your ideas here for my turbo build instead of a 383/388. But I'm a big fan on smaller cube motors for some reason, and the higher reving capabilities of your setup are simply awesome.

Great build, now post some more vids

I have been considering building a 377 ci gen 1 small block, but I guess I want to stick to the LTx platform. Even though a 88mm turbo hung on a 377 would be alot of fun, I guess I'll have to leave that one for my younger brother

Last edited by Turnin20s; 07-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)