Automotive News, Media & Press - Diesel Chevrolet Cruze coming to U.S. in 2013

jmurray87
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/07/cruzefd---03-1311342408.jpg

Rumors of a diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze have been floating around the Intertubes ever since the sedan's launch last year, but now, we have the official word straight from General Motors: A diesel Cruze is definitely coming to the United States. Unfortunately, we won't see the oil-burning Cruze until sometime in 2013, likely as part of the car's mid-cycle refresh.

As of this writing, GM has yet to confirm any powertrain details, though earlier rumors had suggested that a 2.0-liter engine with 147 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque could be the powerplant of choice. In Australia, though, under the hood of the Holden Cruze, the 2.0-liter diesel is good for 160 hp and 265 lb-ft.

Since GM is using the new diesel model as a way to "bolster the already fuel-efficient Cruze lineup," we wouldn't be surprised if a less-powerful but more-efficient engine was offered. Currently, the Cruze Eco with a 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four is good for 138 hp, 148 lb-ft and up to 42 miles per gallon on the highway.

What say you, readers? Could a diesel-powered Cruze hit the lofty 50 mpg mark? Give us your best fuel economy estimates in the comments, and hit the jump for GM's official press release.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/22/diesel-chevrolet-cruze-coming-to-u-s-in-2013/

Cole Train
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I like the idea. GM needs to offer a small diesel in the 1500 Silverado's next

djsanchez2
07-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I like the idea. There is little reason this cleaner/more efficient technology should not be main stream here.

I'm all for tons of these little cars running around as apposed to the hybrid/electric vehicles with their snobby ass drivers. :nod:

01 ss vert
07-22-2011, 03:50 PM
If my wife's maxima can last another year and a half - I might be game for this car!

VW Diesels around here are holding their value VERY well. Like selling for $17,000+ for 3-4 year old models with 40,000+ miles....on a car that was only $26,000 new.

Ruthless Robbie
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
for many years countries overseas have had many cars that are diesels such as 62mpg honda accords

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9712548-7.html

but the lobbyist for big oil companies have Washington in their pocket.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB0trPOy8lc

djsanchez2
07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
^^ Is that European MPG or US MPG?

1 UK Imperial Gallon = 4.55 litres
1 US Liquid Gallon = 3.79 litres

62mpg UK = 51mpg US

62mpg US = 74mpg UK

I am for sure not knocking even 51mpg, that's still really good. I'm just curious. :nod:

Ruthless Robbie
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
^^ Is that European MPG or US MPG?

1 UK Imperial Gallon = 4.55 litres
1 US Liquid Gallon = 3.79 litres

62mpg UK = 51mpg US

62mpg US = 74mpg UK

I am for sure not knocking even 51mpg, that's still really good. I'm just curious. :nod:

good question...... it states the specs @ 1:15 - 1:25 in the video and it says converted to U.S. mpg it gets 52mpg hwy, which is a huge improvement from the 30mpg hwy gasoline version here in the U.S.

Gasoline V-6 = 20mpg city, 30mpg highway, 24mpg combined

Diesel I-4= 32mpg city, 52mpg highway, 42mpg combined

thats almost double the combined mpg switching to diesel........ meaning if U.S. would allow this here our cars would get almost double the mpg...... which would mean we would use HALF as much fuel, which means HALF as much profits for oil companies....... thats why these big oil tycoons have been lobbying all this time and have washington in their pockets......

djsanchez2
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah the only reason i ask is because the VW golf diesel they were promoting to give 72mpg. In reality is was the lower figure, as they were claiming the european numbers :lol:

I would be all over one (an inexpensive diesel compact) if my DD were to take an expensive dump and they were on the lots ready to go.

Cole Train
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
i would pick one up in a heartbeat as a 2nd vehicle if they make them :) i think, with the CAFE standards going up, we will have to see more of them. According to sales of electrics, they will not go over well in the longrun.

Camaro Z
07-22-2011, 09:26 PM
GM needs to offer a small diesel in the 1500 Silverado's next

+10000000000000000000000

I honestly can't believe one of the big 3 haven't done it already. The ecoboost is good, but you can't beat the torque and economy of a diesel.

Cole Train
07-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Could you imagine a like a 5.5 Turbo diesel in a 1/2 ton truck :D it'd increase the price but man i bet you sell alot when you tell people they will get 25+mpg

Spoolin
07-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I would so jump on a diesel Cruze. I bought a 2011 Golf TDI because I wanted a small diesel so I wouldn't have to drive my gas guzzling truck everyday. If GM had this in their line-up I woulda gone this route for sure. I think the Cruze is a better looking car than a Golf as well.

07-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I like the idea. GM needs to offer a small diesel in the 1500 Silverado's next

^THIS^. Or a S-10/Colorado with a small diesel getting about 30+ mpgs would be perfect for me. I had to dump my Silverado 5.3 2 years ago because of the cost to fuel it(I do 30,000 miles a year for work).

Latch
07-23-2011, 08:20 PM
265 ft/lb + 50 MPG = win.

Wnts2Go10O
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Could you imagine a like a 5.5 Turbo diesel in a 1/2 ton truck :D it'd increase the price but man i bet you sell alot when you tell people they will get 25+mpg

hate to break it to ya, but gm HAD a 4.5l TD ready to go and scrapped it because of the govt takeover.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
07-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I am pretty sure that GM has had a 1.3L diesel variant of the Ecotec for years in Europe. They should of brought this to the US a long time ago. Yet another GM fail.

CaptainDirtymax
07-25-2011, 12:45 AM

i get 24mpg with my Duramax. granted, i have to run 65mph to do that, but still. not bad for a 6.6L V8 pulling 7300lbs of service truck around.

GM really screwed up by scrapping the LMK (4.5L) Duramax though. it was the same physical size as an LS3. which means it could have found it's way into a Caprice or G8 or even a 5th gen (could you imagine...).

Cole Train
07-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Oh you know what i do remember reading about that 4.5L TD. I spaced it haha.

Jon5212
07-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Awesome, I'll buy one for a commuter car. Just wait until EFI Live gets the ECM open to be able to tune it... I'll bet we could get 300+ WHP and 400 TQ out of it.

01 ss vert
07-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I was in Greece two months ago and commented to my wife how many great diesels over there made by GM (Opel even) needed to be sold in the US.

If they don't jump on it soon, VW will continue to own the market share - especially with their vision of selling over 100,000 cars a year in the US, and their new plant in Chattanooga, TN opening up for production this year.

I didn't see the video (work blocks it), but with is their projected starting price for the the cruze diesel?

It'llrun
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
TTT... This one needs more attention! Any diesel powered car or light truck(1/2 ton) would be an improvement. Manufacturers have been "gonna" do it again for years, but none has come through. I think "big oil" has a stake in this, but I also think the premium of diesel fuel AND diesel engines in general(which could drop considerably if anyone could get one in their car of choice) has given them plenty of reason to stuff the idea.

With CAFE crapola getting ever worse, it's way past time for real efficiency... Of course, the government will screw the pooch on this too, by forcing additives, etc. for any auto maker who tries to defy their idea that America uses too much fuel...

redbadss
08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I have been in favor of the diesel movement since I drove a 2010 Jetta TDI. That car was a blast to drive and had great low-end torque for the everyday commute. The car i happened to test drive was almost out of gas and the miles until empty reading said 48. Albeit I didn't drive the car 30+ miles but I did drive it 10-12 miles for a test drive and when i returned to the dealership the miles until empty read 50! So even my beating on it and hard acceleration on the highway didn't have an affect on the efficiency of the diesel motor.

I truely believe these little diesel cars would be such an improvement over the current small gasoline engines with sub-par performance and not nearly as efficient. And I think the big three are starting to notice the attention VW is getting with their deisel line-up.

The view on diesel engines will improve as we see more and more smaller cars with that powertrain, which makes me extremely pleased that Chevy is pulling the trigger soon and will be the first of the U.S. companies to do so.

01 ss vert
08-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I have been in favor of the diesel movement since I drove a 2010 Jetta TDI. That car was a blast to drive and had great low-end torque for the everyday commute. The car i happened to test drive was almost out of gas and the miles until empty reading said 48. Albeit I didn't drive the car 30+ miles but I did drive it 10-12 miles for a test drive and when i returned to the dealership the miles until empty read 50! So even my beating on it and hard acceleration on the highway didn't have an affect on the efficiency of the diesel motor.

I truely believe these little diesel cars would be such an improvement over the current small gasoline engines with sub-par performance and not nearly as efficient. And I think the big three are starting to notice the attention VW is getting with their deisel line-up.

The view on diesel engines will improve as we see more and more smaller cars with that powertrain, which makes me extremely pleased that Chevy is pulling the trigger soon and will be the first of the U.S. companies to do so.

x2.

Plus, the cruzes in black look pretty good! A co-worker has one and it catches my eye everytime I go by it.

redbadss
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
x2.

Plus, the cruzes in black look pretty good! A co-worker has one and it catches my eye everytime I go by it.

Agreed, I see a dark red/maroon one around town that looks really sharp(especially for just a compact car). I think Chevy did a great job on styling and designing this new car. If they had a performance version of the car available I would've definately considered it before purchasing my current WRX, being that I would rather support american companies.

01 ss vert
08-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I wish they would come out with a Diesel version for 2012 vs. 2013 b/c my wifes maxima is on it's final leg, I do believe. I would put down a deposit now if they offered it.

Also, as Americans are desiring diesels more and more, the used diesel market is holding it's value quite well.

ramairroughneck
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
for many years countries overseas have had many cars that are diesels such as 62mpg honda accords

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9712548-7.html

but the lobbyist for big oil companies have Washington in their pocket.......

I don't buy into the oil company lobbyist theory. I'd point the finger more to the tree hugging lobbyist who didn't wont diesel cars polluting America. They're letting up now that we have better, cleaner burning technology. In the past, there was less of a need for efficient vehicles. Global demand for fuels was low and prices were relatively cheep. When everyone was buying up suv's, trucks, and high horsepower cars nobody was saying I wish we had diesel cavaliers here in the U.S.. You need to look at the bigger picture before you start blaming the big oil companies. Supply and demand, Global fuel usage, the value of are currency, even our deficit plays a bigger role in the scheme of things.

Latch
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't buy into the oil company lobbyist theory. I'd point the finger more to the tree hugging lobbyist who didn't wont diesel cars polluting America. They're letting up now that we have better, cleaner burning technology. In the past, there was less of a need for efficient vehicles. Global demand for fuels was low and prices were relatively cheep. When everyone was buying up suv's, trucks, and high horsepower cars nobody was saying I wish we had diesel cavaliers here in the U.S.. You need to look at the bigger picture before you start blaming the big oil companies. Supply and demand, Global fuel usage, the value of are currency, even our deficit plays a bigger role in the scheme of things.

The tree-huggers in Europe don't have a problem with diesels, so what makes you think the liberals here are opposed to them?

The problem is that America seems to be behind the rest of the world on this matter; Europeans have been driving clean diesel cars for decades now and America still hasn't caught on yet. It's probably because gas prices up until now have always been cheap, and the average person has a lot of misconceptions about diesel cars (they're dirty, noisy, slow, etc.)

mst504
08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
A guy at my work has 2 Cruze's, they're pretty nice cars.

ramairroughneck
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
The tree-huggers in Europe don't have a problem with diesels, so what makes you think the liberals here are opposed to them?

The problem is that America seems to be behind the rest of the world on this matter; Europeans have been driving clean diesel cars for decades now and America still hasn't caught on yet. It's probably because gas prices up until now have always been cheap, and the average person has a lot of misconceptions about diesel cars (they're dirty, noisy, slow, etc.)

The tree hugger thing was just a quick slam and an opposing view to the liberal conspiracy theory. I don't really beleave this is a political issue. More than anything I feel the American automakers didn't bring them here because there was little interest amongst consumers when fuel was cheap. There is more of a market now. I refuse to accept the people griping on here have wanted a diesel for years. I think you guys wanted the powerful gas burning cars GM gave us. I also don't think these high mpg diesels are really gonna help us through are problems. If we buy less foreign oil because of these new vehicles, Opec will just cut production to get their profits higher. Thats really gonna suck for people like myself that drive gasoline chugging v8s.

redbadss
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
In all honesty, I didn't realize diesel was more fuel efficient than gasoline until a year or two ago. My ignorance was fueled by the know-it-all people in america who continue to think deisel is some sort of poison fuel for humans. Now I'm still in college and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but i like to think of myself as a car enthusiast. The whole viewpoint on diesel in america has always been -- to me anyways -- the "noisy, dirty, hyperpolluting" diesel fuel, simply because that's what the 18 wheelers, buses and large trucks are fueled by.

I also agree with RAMAIRROUGHNECK; that diesel cars haven't been successful because of the lack of interest and very low consumer demand for them. I do, however, disagree with his argument that diesels wont help our problems we currently face. I believe that a slow transition into a growing diesel market will help consumers on fuel prices (saving money at the pump), and help the automakers make the CAFE standards set.

Now will this solve every problem or a substantial portion of problems set in front of us right now? No. But it will help and I hope it will help more than just a little. Most owners will continue to only drive gasoline vehicles or thier precious little electric cars, but will everyone continue to overlook the benefits of clean diesel fuels?

Latch
08-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Moving towards diesel is a good short-term solution until fuels like hydrogen, natural gas, etc. become readily available sources of power.

sintered
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
The biofuels made from algae are predominantly biodiesel. It's a technically challenging biofuel right now, but no other plant on the planet grows near as fast as algae so we could potentially make a sh*t-ton of the stuff for next to nothing. Right here at home. Talk to a petroleum engineer... the crude oil we currently pump out of the ground and burn in our cars is pretty much nothing but prehistoric algae in shallow seas that was captured and cooked at the high temps and pressures underground into crude oil. Hopefully in the next 5-10 years this will be a commercially viable option for the US.

I hope diesels do become popular in the US compact segment. One of my all time favorite cars is the 2000-2003 VW Jetta diesel with the 5-speed. They can easily get over 50mpg with simple mods and the engines are good to 400k+ miles without so much as a hiccup. A cruze/focus/etc with the same setup would be a KILLER daily driver for 10+ years of use while getting great fuel economy. Whether gas jumps to $4/gal or $7/gal, with this kind of economy it doesn't really matter. And the sticker price should be a hell of a lot lower versus hybrids, PHEVs, etc.

BizZzatch350
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
BMW with the 335D I think is doing a great job at breaking American buyer's past conceptions-misconceptions toward diesels and introducing "clean" diesel technology as a viable main stream option. This stuff could really bolster numbers for CAFE requirements, imagine what a diesel-electric hybrid Cruze or even Volt could get. Almost every manufacturer that sells globally from Honda to BMW has diesel options in other markets. I was also disappointed that the 4.5 D-max was scrapped, I think that would make for an awesome truck. My 1500 Sierra fits me perfectly, I have zero need for a 2500 or 3500 truck.

It'llrun
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Moving towards diesel is a good short-term solution until fuels like hydrogen, natural gas, etc. become readily available sources of power.It could be a great long term solution too, with relatively few changes to the market.

Biodiesels from algea are looking great, as are those from used cooking oil. You can make your own deisel too, for much less than buying(let alone making) gasoline. It's easier to use(almost no adaptation needed anymore) and less expensive than nearly any other viable fuel.

People have been "disinterested" in diesel power for only 1 real reason... lack of availability. Most American market vehicles have no diesel engine option and that's where the change needs to happen 1st. The problems stemming from that are the same as from gas power... The government will intervene and force prices up. They're already deeply invoved in wasting our money. Diesel has no reason to be more expensive at the pump than gasoline(currently least expensive viable automotive fuel), yet it costs more to buy diesel and the government is committed to making economy standards which are not only tougher to meet due to increases in required economy, but because our government also insists on manufacturers adding fuel wasting parts to vehicles, which have nothing to to with safety(plus safety parts).

Were people told openly, just 20yrs ago, that diesel was so much more efficient than gasoline, we'd resemble Europe a bit more with what we drive. I drove a 1985 Ford Tempo GL diesel(back then)... 47mpg on the highway was no problem. It wasn't quick, had no turbo, seemed to lack power, and put soot into the air... It also got about twice the mileage of the "better economy" gas powered cars on the road while seating 5. It wasn't nearly as loud as most would expect, but it wasn't quiet either. My '76 Monza might have managed 20 hwy mpg with its horizontal 4 and 4 seats. It lacked plenty as compared to the Tempo, but was 9yrs older... In 1990, I got a 2.3L Mustang which got 36 hwy mpg... 5yrs newer, sportier and with more creature comforts, it was still well behind the Tempo, while seating only 4, two cramped in the rear.

Even my turbo diesel 1 ton managed to net 19.1mpg... at reasonable speeds. Most gas powered 1/2 tons don't do any better today.

America can massively benefit from diesel vehicles, but we've been told for decades, they're the wrong answer... It's simply not true and finally, people are taking note. Next, produce more and let the price of diesel drop by limiting government interference, not limited to, but including things like Diesel Particulate Filters, which really only serve to waste fuel.

The BMW 335D, btw... is outstanding by all accounts. :D The Cruze at an affordable price with turbo diesel power? I'll take one tomorrow for my gal and MAYBE even me, as a DD. I'd rather something larger though, like a 1/2 ton pickup or maybe even an Impala or other bigger car.

BanditTA
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
as are those from used cooking oil. You can make your own deisel too, for much less than buying(let alone making) gasoline.

I run straight cooking oil in my Deere Backhoe, change the fuel filter every few months and run the oil through a paint filter while pouring it in. It stinks like a giant french fry but works perfect, i've noticed no difference in power. Fuel filters for it are like 6 bucks from Deere so i could care less about diesel at this point. I usually blend it but have run it straight in the past.

I'd consider a diesel DD but if I was buying a pickup hands down gas, I personally dislike diesels, gutless wonders that won't rev (Detroit excluded), right when they start making power it's time to shift. I've also driven a few Jetta TDIs, I'd never DD one, what gutless cars, maybe the new ones are different......

08-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I run straight cooking oil in my Deere Backhoe, change the fuel filter every few months and run the oil through a paint filter while pouring it in. It stinks like a giant french fry but works perfect, i've noticed no difference in power. Fuel filters for it are like 6 bucks from Deere so i could care less about diesel at this point. I usually blend it but have run it straight in the past.

I'd consider a diesel DD but if I was buying a pickup hands down gas, I personally dislike diesels, gutless wonders that won't rev (Detroit excluded), right when they start making power it's time to shift. I've also driven a few Jetta TDIs, I'd never DD one, what gutless cars, maybe the new ones are different......

You just need the right ones.....lol. My 98 ram 3500 makes over 700 rwhp and 1300 ft lbs......most newer trucks (gm, dodge etc) can make big power pretty easy. My 8000lb 4x4 extended cab stays ahead of a stock c6 vette.

I ve think the cruze with a small diesel is a great idea. I bet its not long and there will be a lot of small car diesel choices because of it.

Jon5212
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM

You've been driving the wrong diesel trucks then. My diesel pickup will flat out walk all over a stock gas pickup truck... except for possibly a lightning or silverado SS. I don't have much done to it. And I'll get better fuel mileage to boot.

sintered
08-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Turbo diesels are really hard to beat. What's hurting them right now is all the emissions equipment... EGR, cat, DPF, SCR, complicated programming, etc etc. Common rail diesels run like the space shuttle when tuned, but the ultra-high injection pressures(30,000+ psi) and the complex piezo injectors (5+ shots in one injection event!) make them a little less reliable versus the old low pressure systems. They run REAL quiet and clean though. Just the other week i pulled up beside a new 6.7 powerstroke at a gas station while it was running. I had to look back two or three times to make sure it was a diesel. Sounded just like a gas engine. Nuts.

Take a look at the light duty segment with the duramax, cummins, and powerstroke. With nothing more than simple bolt-ons and... ahem... "deletions"... they can make 500+ hp and 1000tq and STILL knock down 20+ mpg on the highway. In a 3 ton truck nonetheless. A friend of mine with a mildly modded 97 cummins 5-speed gets 23mpg regularly.

As much as i hate a damn prius, if they were to put a small diesel in place of the gas engine, 70+ mpg would probably be possible. I wouldn't think a mild hybrid diesel cruze or focus would cost much more than the current versions, and a lot less than a full hybrid while still getting 50+ mpg. We shall see it seems.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Turbo diesels are really hard to beat. What's hurting them right now is all the emissions equipment... EGR, cat, DPF, SCR, complicated programming, etc etc. Common rail diesels run like the space shuttle when tuned, but the ultra-high injection pressures(30,000+ psi) and the complex piezo injectors (5+ shots in one injection event!) make them a little less reliable versus the old low pressure systems. They run REAL quiet and clean though. Just the other week i pulled up beside a new 6.7 powerstroke at a gas station while it was running. I had to look back two or three times to make sure it was a diesel. Sounded just like a gas engine. Nuts.

Take a look at the light duty segment with the duramax, cummins, and powerstroke. With nothing more than simple bolt-ons and... ahem... "deletions"... they can make 500+ hp and 1000tq and STILL knock down 20+ mpg on the highway. In a 3 ton truck nonetheless. A friend of mine with a mildly modded 97 cummins 5-speed gets 23mpg regularly.

As much as i hate a damn prius, if they were to put a small diesel in place of the gas engine, 70+ mpg would probably be possible. I wouldn't think a mild hybrid diesel cruze or focus would cost much more than the current versions, and a lot less than a full hybrid while still getting 50+ mpg. We shall see it seems.

One question:

How easy is it to hot start a diesel and how long do you have before you would have to use the glow plugs again?

Would stopping and starting be an issue with a hybrid diesel?

Was just wondering.

Irunelevens
08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
In all honesty, I didn't realize diesel was more fuel efficient than gasoline until a year or two ago.

http://cubedwellerfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock.png

:lol:

Jon5212
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
One question:

How easy is it to hot start a diesel and how long do you have before you would have to use the glow plugs again?

Would stopping and starting be an issue with a hybrid diesel?

Was just wondering.

I hot and cold start all day every day. No need for glow plugs with modern diesels really, unless its in the -10 and below region.

CaptainDirtymax
08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
I hot and cold start all day every day. No need for glow plugs with modern diesels really, unless its in the -10 and below region.

i'm with ya, i deliver pizza's with my '02. lots and LOTS of starting and stopping.

shiv15
08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Id be excited to see a diesel variant of this car. I have an eco and i regularly see 40-42mpg city... and 50+ highway.

redbadss
08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
http://cubedwellerfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock.png

:lol:

Haha I know, I know laugh it up.... but as I previously state, as a kid (I'm still a youngin') I was subjected to the opinions of the ignorant. But this forum and others have increased my knowledge vastly.

:chug:

jmurray87
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Some more information on it.

Those of us in the U.S. will have to wait until sometime in 2013 to see the diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze, but GM insiders seem more than willing to dish out some details on the oil-burning Cruze well in advance of its debut.

Ward's Auto reports that "sources" have confirmed the oil-burning Cruze will achieve a highway fuel economy rating "in the range of 50 miles per gallon." Additionally, unlike the manual transmission-equipped, 42-mpg rated Chevy Cruze Eco (an automatic Eco is available, but its mpg rating is well below that of the manual), the diesel Cruze, according to Charlie Klein, GM's director of global mass, energy and aerodynamics, will be a fuel-sipping sedan regardless of which trans is bolted to the engine.

As for that engine, GM has unofficially confirmed that it will indeed be based on the 2.0-liter diesel that's found under the hood of the Holden Cruze CDX. In the Holden, the 2.0-liter mill pumps out 160 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. One last bit of info: we hear that the diesel Cruze's torque will allow it to easily outrun the Cruze Eco.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/chevrolet-targeting-50-mpg-with-diesel-powered-cruze/

justin455
08-17-2011, 08:22 PM
^Hell yes! ~12 more hp and double the torque! I'll take one in auto please...you're gonna need both hands to tame that torque steer.

It'llrun
08-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I run straight cooking oil in my Deere Backhoe, change the fuel filter every few months and run the oil through a paint filter while pouring it in. It stinks like a giant french fry but works perfect, i've noticed no difference in power. Fuel filters for it are like 6 bucks from Deere so i could care less about diesel at this point. I usually blend it but have run it straight in the past.I wouldn't run it straight, but that would be cheaper as long as nothing gets screwed up because of it, which probably isn't a problem on a tractor(yet).

I'd consider a diesel DD but if I was buying a pickup hands down gas, I personally dislike diesels, gutless wonders that won't rev (Detroit excluded), right when they start making power it's time to shift. I've also driven a few Jetta TDIs, I'd never DD one, what gutless cars, maybe the new ones are different......My gas engined SUV is smaller and lighter than my old 1 ton diesel, but the mileage is the same or worse.

Gas vehicles tend to accelerate better, but that's to be expected. Plus, today, diesels are much stronger than they were just 3yrs ago. The average pickup truck has an additional 150 lb-ft torque along with at least 50hp more than just 2-3yrs ago. Though it feels like they're just making power when it's time to shift, most diesels are running at their peak torque well before the shift point. They simply maintain their power to the top of their rpm.

Detroit has little on anything else available, except perhaps the newer model DD15 or the like. Even so, Cummins also offers are great engine. It's more in the tuning than the design.

You've been driving the wrong diesel trucks then. My diesel pickup will flat out walk all over a stock gas pickup truck... except for possibly a lightning or silverado SS. I don't have much done to it. And I'll get better fuel mileage to boot.Not when stock though, unless you're only considering 3/4 and 1ton models... As good as they've gotten, the average gas engine still outruns the average diesel pickup. The Nissan Titan will outrun the Silverado SS from what I've seen, and keep up with the Lightning over the 1/4 mile. A new Tundra 5.7L is no slouch either and the Hemi Ram hauls. The new Ford stuff does well too, but none of these will pull a load like even an older turbo diesel pickup. Typically, the current diesel is still quite heavy and geared lower than most others. They cover the 1/4 in about 17 seconds. Their are several gas powered pickups in the 15's or quicker these days.

Cole Train
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
My '03 Z71 silverado (5.3) gets 19mpgs on average for highway. My g/f's dad has a '11 Sierra duramax and with a tool loaded box and small trailer it gets 23mpg. That's better than mine with no load.

It'llrun
08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
My g/f's dad has a '11 Sierra duramax and with a tool loaded box and small trailer it gets 23mpg. That's better than mine with no load.The joy of diesel power... Almost identical mileage loaded as when empty. Adding a trailer will drop it some, but not as much as a gas engine.

Jon5212
08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't run it straight, but that would be cheaper as long as nothing gets screwed up because of it, which probably isn't a problem on a tractor(yet).

My gas engined SUV is smaller and lighter than my old 1 ton diesel, but the mileage is the same or worse.

Gas vehicles tend to accelerate better, but that's to be expected. Plus, today, diesels are much stronger than they were just 3yrs ago. The average pickup truck has an additional 150 lb-ft torque along with at least 50hp more than just 2-3yrs ago. Though it feels like they're just making power when it's time to shift, most diesels are running at their peak torque well before the shift point. They simply maintain their power to the top of their rpm.

Detroit has little on anything else available, except perhaps the newer model DD15 or the like. Even so, Cummins also offers are great engine. It's more in the tuning than the design.

Not when stock though, unless you're only considering 3/4 and 1ton models... As good as they've gotten, the average gas engine still outruns the average diesel pickup. The Nissan Titan will outrun the Silverado SS from what I've seen, and keep up with the Lightning over the 1/4 mile. A new Tundra 5.7L is no slouch either and the Hemi Ram hauls. The new Ford stuff does well too, but none of these will pull a load like even an older turbo diesel pickup. Typically, the current diesel is still quite heavy and geared lower than most others. They cover the 1/4 in about 17 seconds. Their are several gas powered pickups in the 15's or quicker these days.

A tune and lift pump in an automatic Crew cab shortbed duramax will put it in the 13's or very very low 14's. Tune about 550 bucks and lift pump another 550-600 bucks.

CaptainDirtymax
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM

it's all in the tuning. there are Duramax's turning over 6k rpm, EFI Live just came out with a 5100rpm tune for the 6.7 Cummins. yes, the stock tuning is not meant for power

here's a CR Cummins turning 5300rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351i-GeoYQU&feature=related

5200rpm 6.4 Powerstroke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JXbhSvF-U&feature=related

5k +rpm Duramax puller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRC7iN_GRQY&feature=related

technical
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a '09 Jetta TDI. I love the thing. I would have bought a Chevy if they had a diesel to offer. I regularly get 30mpg stop and go traffic and can easily get 44mpg mixed driving, mostly highway. The only drawback is there aren't as many diesel stations around here as gasoline, but there's still enough and there's at least one pretty close to work.