Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SLP Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Canada?

I did an AutoCheck on a 2000 Camaro SS that has an SLP sticker on the door jam. The AutoCheck says the Country of assembly is Canada?

I did some research and it says (224) 2000 Camaro SS's were made in Canada, while 8688 were made in the U.S.

Does this have something to do with SLP, since the sticker is on the door? Why were particular SS's made in Canada? What is the significance of it being made there? Is it rare, worth more, faster, different parts, etc?? I'm just curious, because i can't get any straight answers. People tell me all SS's were sent to SLP, but how come all of them are not made in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

By the way, if anyone wants to do research on the Vin i have it...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the 3rd/4th gen F-body's were built in Canada. Ste.Therese.
If a particular SS had 'second-sticker' product built into it, then it went to the SLP facility for those mod's.
And yes, the SLP facility was just 'down the road' from the GM factory.
Both on the north side of the border.

Read, read, & read some more.

The seperation that you mention, might refer to the amount of cars 'built-for' that particular market.
224 for the Canada market for sales, & 8688 for the US market. But I do NOT know that answer is the correct answer for sure. Someone else may come along with confirmation.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...l#post15184172

Basically, i just want to know if this car is worth buying and if it has some time of rarity? The link above is the car and price.

What do you think, just a typical SS with the SLP longtube and catback, or since it has the sticker most likely that is referring to the rims?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

All SLP door stickers are now faded, they are poor quality vs. the GM ones. So that is nothing to worry about. The passenger door sticker on the SS should show any SLP "second sticker" options that were added.

It was possible to buy a '98- '02 Camaro SS without any SLP options (I should know, I owned a 2000 SS with GM options only).

The second sticker will list the SLP options (eg. wheels, suspension, floor mats etc.).

SLP did not offer emissions parts (ie. cats), headers, or gears as options when you ordered a car. Those were over the counter parts that you could buy, and get installed after you bought the car.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there was two SLP's at one point, SLP engineering and SLP Performance both run under Ed Hamburger. SLP Engineering was the business who did 4th gen OE upgrades.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

As far as I know, only the 4th gen was made at St Therese plant outside Montreal, Quebec, CANADA. My 3rd gen was made in Texas... The SLP plant whrer the SS options were added was a short distance from there, in Quebec.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AES Racing
I believe there was two SLP's at one point, SLP engineering and SLP Performance both run under Ed Hamburger. SLP Engineering was the business who did 4th gen OE upgrades.
U are correct and after 4 years of the fbody being done the oe side closed. Which sucked for us owners with one of slp cars because slp no longer had to warranty the shitty parts they put on our cars.

Quick Reply: SLP Canada?