Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time tuning question, testing waters

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time tuning question, testing waters

I just got Hptuners and i want to learn everything there is to know about it. I have a decent background of all the sensors and how the pcm works. I got a 2000 z28 for $1000 just to use as a testing mule to sorta learn the software and daily drive for now.

So far i have had hptuners for 2 days and have just been comparing peoples tune to stock tunes. I haven't even plugged it into my car yet. soo....

What are some good things to start on to get a little extra power out of it.
How much timing can be added safley?

Any advice to a newb like me?

I have been reading through the stickies a lot too, and on a racing team and watch the tuner to get ideas and help me understand.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Have you searched around on the HPT boards? They have a "newb" section and intro section. I'v e been lurking on the HPT board for almost a year now and about ready to pull the trigger on the VCM Suite, myself.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Yea i have just joined that board too
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I got the demo software and it left me with just more questions. Specifically the spark tables scared me. There's a lot more to the spark side of the house than I would have figured. I ordered Greg Banish's DVD and gonna get up to speed with that first before I purchase the full tuning software. I can kick around in the demo to reference stuff and there's no fear of messing anything up either.

And I've heard that ~42* of timing is suicide. So I'd stay pretty low until you get the feel for it. (Just jogged my memory)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Read, read, read, then read some more. Give me your email via PM and I'll forward you some documents I've collected that are helpful.