Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Bore LS7 heads on 402 LS2 What is Needed, Whats Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Bore LS7 heads on 402 LS2 What is Needed, Whats Not

Im looking at possibly installing a set of RPM 4.00 small bore LS7 heads on my 402 as well as a port matched/cleaned up LS7 Intake. I was curious as to all the parts I would have to replace in order to get it all to work and what parts I can just swap over from my current setup. If anybody has more info for me that would be awesome.

So far I know I'm gonna need/swap out;

LS7 Intake Manifold
LS7 pushrods
LS7 Rockers

What I dont know about;

Are the TSP headers I have the right size/fit for those Heads?
Do I Need to Replace my LS1 Fuel Rails/Injectors? I believe there are adapters for the injectors to work.
Do LS1 Valve covers fit over 1.8 rockers or do I need spacers and or modifications to make them work.
Fast 92mm TB should fit right?

I'm sure I'm missing stuff so I figured I'd ask on here and see if someone with more knowlege could help me out. Thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS7 heads have a D shape exhaust port, I don't know if the small bore LS7 do or not
Do I Need to Replace my LS1 Fuel Rails/Injectors?
If your fuel rails are stock LS1 rails, then yes, and if you have stock injectors I doubt they will keep up with a 402, replace them with some LS3/LS7 injectors.
Do LS1 Valve covers fit over 1.8 rockers or do I need spacers and or modifications to make them work.
They will need modified to fit, you have to take the baffles out of them
I think so

Don't forget that the LS7 manifold has no provisions to mount the throttle cable bracket, you will have to make a bracket or buy one, slp makes them I think.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
LS7 heads have a D shape exhaust port, I don't know if the small bore LS7 do or not
Do I Need to Replace my LS1 Fuel Rails/Injectors?
If your fuel rails are stock LS1 rails, then yes, and if you have stock injectors I doubt they will keep up with a 402, replace them with some LS3/LS7 injectors.
They will need modified to fit, you have to take the baffles out of them
I think so

Don't forget that the LS7 manifold has no provisions to mount the throttle cable bracket, you will have to make a bracket or buy one, slp makes them I think.
I'm already running a 402 just switching to an LS7 Cylinder head and intake. I have 42 lb LS1 injectors so those should be fine as long as the adapters work. I will def need LS7 fuel rails though.

So far it all seems like minor/cheap things that I will need to do. I need to find out about the headers. I would hate to have to buy set of headers again just to accomidate heads as my headers are 2 months old.

I would just love to have awesome flowing heads and intake which are both known to have good velocity and also to be different.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been considering the TSP small bore LS7's for my 416 LS3, I just don't know if its worth the hassle/money to switch everything out. I'm waiting on someone to post some numbers on them first.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I've been considering the TSP small bore LS7's for my 416 LS3, I just don't know if its worth the hassle/money to switch everything out. I'm waiting on someone to post some numbers on them first.
TEA ls3 heads are awesome but I'm sure there is a lot of room for improvement even in just the Intake manifold. untouched LS7 intake is 330+ thats close to 40 cfm more than a fast 102 not to mention the heads flow very high, have better velocity and are a 12 degree angle over the LS3's 15. Cleaning up and Port matching the intake will only make it flow better than 330 CFM it is stock and it has better flow Characteristics than those of the LS3. .

I just think there is a lot of gains to be made, atleast for me. Considering I would have to spend atleast 3k on some TFS heads + rockers etc why not spend a tiny more for 380+ CFM heads and a proven intake.

I dont see where it cant make a bunch more power. I'm really hoping there is a nice amount of HP to be made with this setup and a big cam.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guess they do make a ls7 head that will fit a ls2 bore! nice

Quick Reply: Small Bore LS7 heads on 402 LS2 What is Needed, Whats Not