Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Nitrous Plug Reading(Pics)

200 Shot on a Nitrous Outlet 78mm Plate
78N-42F Jets
28 Degrees total pulling 8 Degrees with "The Interface"
BR7EF plugs gapped at .35

Im somewhat new to this and wanted to get other opionons. Looks as if my timing is good but it's running rich. I'm thinking of stepping the fuel jet down to 40 which i'll need to buy. I do have a 38 jet but I think it's to much of a jump. I can cut the threads and retake pics if needed.

Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much idle time on these plugs? In order to get an accurate reading you must put fresh plugs in then make a hit, kill the key at the stripe then pull the plugs. We will need to see the plug after it is cut but my first initial response is RICH. FWIW when i ran the 200 shot I ran a 78/44 jet setup, probably should have been 42 but my plugs were waaaaay cleaner than those. I feel sure your response is those plugs have a good bit of idle time. Also don't chase the bend with your timing mark, that theory is slowly becoming a myth.

FYI - this was my leanest cylinder when on 200 shot
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Launching!

These plugs were pulled after a full 2nd gear pull and the car was shut off at 6700rpms. Costed to a parking lot and swapped them out. They are 3 and 7. Knowing that, would a jump to a 38 pill be to much?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lower_the_dynamite
These plugs were pulled after a full 2nd gear pull and the car was shut off at 6700rpms. Costed to a parking lot and swapped them out. They are 3 and 7. Knowing that, would a jump to a 38 pill be to much?
So you are saying these were BRAND NEW plugs, made a second gear WOT pull to 6700 then killed the key? If that is the case then something is way off, you will see what I mean when you cut the threads compared to my 78/44 setup I posted. Might need another opinion....
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Launching!

These plugs have a 60 miles on them. I went out, sprayed the car in 2nd from 3200k to 6700k, shut it off and swapped out to new plugs.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lower_the_dynamite
These plugs have a 60 miles on them. I went out, sprayed the car in 2nd from 3200k to 6700k, shut it off and swapped out to new plugs.
GOTHCA! That's the problem, they must have ZERO miles on them and very minimal idle time then make a hit, kill it at the stripe or whatever RPM then pull the plugs. Do that then post of some new pics.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carter01
GOTHCA! That's the problem, they must have ZERO miles on them and very minimal idle time then make a hit, kill it at the stripe or whatever RPM then pull the plugs. Do that then post of some new pics.
I'll do that today. Thanks agian for your help and I'll respond to this thread with new pics. The plugs I pull will have less than a mile on them.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carter01
Also don't chase the bend with your timing mark, that theory is slowly becoming a myth.
Carter

What do you mean sir?

Sarge
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 PM
8 Second Club

He's just saying the heat mark doesn't have to be in the bend.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMITH
He's just saying the heat mark doesn't have to be in the bend.
Exactly ^^^- Every motor does not require the heat mark to be in the bend due to the efficiency of the setup. Generally there is what we call a "timing window" that a setup will run just as fast with a degree or two less without stressing the combo. Ex. Car X runs 9.90 with 17 degrees and the mark is in the bend. Car X then pulls two degrees just for giggles and runs another 9.90 with 15 degrees but the mark moves closer to the tip. Car X tries 14 degrees and hes at the tip but slows to a 10.0. Basically mean his window is two degrees, not the best example but do you get the drift?

I always strive to run the lowest yet efficient timing as possible.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

you guys are insanely knowledgable. It blows my mind every time I read a post on here the knowledge I gain. Just wanted to say thanks! sorry for the hijack but damn these guys should write a book.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^x2 agreed!!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

X3 I did it backwards though. I blew my motor up and then came in the nitrous section to get a little tuning knowledge.

All the big guys here do a bad *** job in trying to keep the little guys informed on how to tune their nitrous setups. You guys know who you are Shiz, ATV, Cam, BAKED, SMITH, Firehawk441, and ryarbrough. Big thanks to you guys.

Back on topic, get some fresh plugs in that thing OP and make a pass.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert at reading plugs at all, so this is truely just a question for those who are. But, in the first picture, doesn't the plug on the left look as if it's speckled with aluminum flakes on the porcelain? Maybe it looks different in person but that's just what I think I'm seeing in the pic.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by Gunrock_T/A_0811
you guys are insanely knowledgable. It blows my mind every time I read a post on here the knowledge I gain. Just wanted to say thanks! sorry for the hijack but damn these guys should write a book.
The guys above are both sharp cats. Your listening to the right people.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I'm no expert at reading plugs at all, so this is truely just a question for those who are. But, in the first picture, doesn't the plug on the left look as if it's speckled with aluminum flakes on the porcelain? Maybe it looks different in person but that's just what I think I'm seeing in the pic.
The plug will look very "off' since it has a lot of drive time on it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see the pics at work but you need to look at a new ngk porcelin with a magnifiing lense to see the normal specks they have that way you can see when those change to aluminum ***** of piston and head on there .lol
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham@NitrousOutlet
The plug will look very "off' since it has a lot of drive time on it.
Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
I cant see the pics at work but you need to look at a new ngk porcelin with a magnifiing lense to see the normal specks they have that way you can see when those change to aluminum ***** of piston and head on there .lol
Makes sense. See, that plug would have confused the hell out of me being black like that (rich) but with what appears to be shiny speckles (lean/detonation). Good to know the new NGKs start out with a little flake to them.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I went out yesterday to do a pass with fresh plugs and had trouble with the nitrous solenoid agian.When I had the back fire(older thred), the nitrous solenoid would work but nothing would come out. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's been good for a couple weeks(used it 5 times or so). So yesterday, I go out and it's almost misfiring. I park it, take the nitrous line that goes to the plate off and harldly any nitrous is being pushed though. (very little white coming from the end of the line). I know it's the solenoid as my purge shoots the nitrous 4-5 feet in the air. So I'm buying a rebuild kit for the NOS cheater. It's old and tired and needs a rebuild. I'll hopefully try it agian this weekend if that end up being the issue. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Makes sense. See, that plug would have confused the hell out of me being black like that (rich) but with what appears to be shiny speckles (lean/detonation). Good to know the new NGKs start out with a little flake to them.
Any time you see coloring on the top of the plug like that it is typically had drive time on it.

The detonation tends to look more "pepper" like than the fleck you will see.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Plug Reading(Pics)