Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

OE Wheels....reviews

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default OE Wheels....reviews

Anyone that has purchased CHROME PLATED wheels from "OE WHEELS".

Can you tell me (us) how that chrome has held up?
How long you've had your wheels?
How many miles you drive a month?
Any discoloration or chipping.....and how long after you got the wheels did that happen?

What did "OE Wheels" do for you?

Thanks. I'm considering the C5 Chrome Deep Dish w/rivets.... 18x10.5 rear / 17x9.5 front
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...heels-Chrome_4

Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought chrome C5 Z06 wheels used for my Camaro back in 07. They were bought locally from a guy who had them on his Vette that never saw bad weather being the Northeast. After seeing one winter the barrels started chipping/flaking. The next winter in limited use(with no snow on the ground) the chrome started flaking a bit. For the price I didnt complain. Cant expect show chrome on $500 chinese cast wheels but if always kept clean and if the car never sees road salt you cant beat the price. Also car probably show 5,000 miles the 2 years I had them on.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mac62989
I bought chrome C5 Z06 wheels used for my Camaro back in 07. They were bought locally from a guy who had them on his Vette that never saw bad weather being the Northeast. After seeing one winter the barrels started chipping/flaking. The next winter in limited use(with no snow on the ground) the chrome started flaking a bit. For the price I didnt complain. Cant expect show chrome on $500 chinese cast wheels but if always kept clean and if the car never sees road salt you cant beat the price. Also car probably show 5,000 miles the 2 years I had them on.
So, what is it that OE WHEELS doesn't know how to do when it comes to Chrome Plating that the high end chrome wheel companies do know?

Because I have friends with aftermarket "expensive" wheels that are 10 years old and they look brand new with not a hint of discoloration or chipping.

What do the expensive companies do that OE Wheels doesn't do? Can it really just be because the castings are Chinese?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Comparing expensive wheels to OEwheels is like comparing a Camry to a Lambo. Ive very rarely ever seen any high end wheels come in chrome, usually their polished or other finishes. There is for sure different qualities of chrome. I have seen some amazing show chrome on bikes that will put to shame most chrome wheels. Im not hating on Chinese cast wheels as I owned them but if you think for $500 youll get the same quality as "expensive" wheels, your mistaken. You get what you pay for as we all should know.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I Love my oewheel's i have'nt had no problem with my wheels. then again my car dont see snow or rain.I guss its all about how you take care of your car.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

If you leave your chrome wheels out in the snow, rain, or other bad weather you shouldn't expect to keep them from chipping. If you take care of them and clean them constantly, yor wheels won't chip or flake at all
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

I agree a little bit..because I have had a set of chrome ZR1s...that saw one germany winter and 3 GA winters and they are fine. My two sets of ZO6s peeled on the barrells. So now I moved onto polished sets of wheels..I always cleaned and polished them with quality polishes on a weekly basis.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Alright....so in South Florida I shouldn't have a problem with OE chrome wheels chipping or discoloring....right?

Rain can't make chrome chip.......don't see how.

I wash my car every 4-5 days, so thats not an issue.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Where in south Florida are you?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
Where in south Florida are you?
Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
If you leave your chrome wheels out in the snow, rain, or other bad weather you shouldn't expect to keep them from chipping. If you take care of them and clean them constantly, yor wheels won't chip or flake at all
Explain how essentially purified "rain" water can make chrome peel or discolor.

Its really all I have to worry about in South Florida. As far as dirt goes, my car gets washed 1-2 times a week.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Being in Flordia you should have no problem with anything as long as you keep them clean. **** for $500 if they last you 5 years and then you have to get them rechromed their still affordable wheels.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Casting manufacturing location really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the plate process. The plate process itself is the unknown....from start to finish. Who plates for OE Wheels is the question. Is it a true tri-metal layering system (copper, nickel, chrome) or is one of the metals left out? Plate tank, plate rack systems (secondary anodes, etc) will suggest how deep the chrome is 'thrown' into the areas that typically show nickel (yellow or discoloration), conductivity in the process to ensure proper adhesion, etc.

If OE (or any wheel manufacturer) sources a plater that short cuts or is at the limitations of any of the above variables, then issues will more than likely ensue.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Casting manufacturing location really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the plate process. The plate process itself is the unknown....from start to finish. Who plates for OE Wheels is the question. Is it a true tri-metal layering system (copper, nickel, chrome) or is one of the metals left out? Plate tank, plate rack systems (secondary anodes, etc) will suggest how deep the chrome is 'thrown' into the areas that typically show nickel (yellow or discoloration), conductivity in the process to ensure proper adhesion, etc.

If OE (or any wheel manufacturer) sources a plater that short cuts or is at the limitations of any of the above variables, then issues will more than likely ensue.
Yup, thats what I'm thinking. Because like I said earlier, I know people with 10 year old chrome rims, they're perfect.

I wonder if they would sell me a set of cast rims and then I can take them to a master chrome plater here in Ft. Lauderdale....he does chrome plating for $50 million yachts, and without question he does the process as good as it can be done. His stuff has to handle years and years with salt water all over it and it last for a VERY long time in that hostile environment.

I'll ask OE if I can get some blank wheels. I know a set of OE wheels is only $680.00, but why throw money away if the plating process is crappy.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I highly doubt they will sell you a blank wheel since they dont have any.. You would have to buy a painted finish and just get it chromed.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

I highly doubt they will sell you a blank wheel since they dont have any.. You would have to buy a painted finish and just get it chromed.
Oh, I thought China made them, then shipped them here. Then OE sent them to a chrome plater here in the USA.

So if I got a painted set, I can simply have them stripped....then my chromer can plate them?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Launching!

IMO it's not worth the hassle on some cheap wheels like that.

I've got a set of chrome OE wheels and I'm not a fan, but I haven't heard anything bad about their quality as far as any other finishes though.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Regulator
IMO it's not worth the hassle on some cheap wheels like that.

I've got a set of chrome OE wheels and I'm not a fan, but I haven't heard anything bad about their quality as far as any other finishes though.
I just can't see spending ridiculous money ($3,000-$4,000) for what I want...which is a chrome deep dish type set of wheels. I was going to get some CCW's or HRE's.......but glad I didn't because they are a serious rip off.

I think getting a set of OE painted wheels, stripping them, then having them chromed by a GOOD chrome plater might be the best bet. I can buy them and have them stripped and then chromed for less than $1,300 total. And the chrome will last for 10+ years for sure.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

It depends what you classify as a ripoff. If you want a strong/lightweight wheel with a unique design, available with custom offets and BS, and a polished finish that will never flake or peel like chrome I dont see it as a ripoff. Everyone is willing to spend on different things. I see guys go all out for go fast mods but run OEwheels. I wanted a pair of C5 DD for along time but I dont like how their offsets sit on our cars and I didnt like the idea of running a spacer for a BBK so I decided to save up for some custom wheels.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

It depends what you classify as a ripoff. If you want a strong/lightweight wheel with a unique design, available with custom offets and BS, and a polished finish that will never flake or peel like chrome I dont see it as a ripoff. Everyone is willing to spend on different things. I see guys go all out for go fast mods but run OEwheels. I wanted a pair of C5 DD for along time but I dont like how their offsets sit on our cars and I didnt like the idea of running a spacer for a BBK so I decided to save up for some custom wheels.
I hear ya. Its just that the custom wheels I'd be happy with will be like $4000-$5000. Won't do it.

How do the offsets sit that you don't like them....too far inside the wheel well, or do they stick too far out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OE Wheels....reviews