Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help me please asap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me please asap!

hey im going to check out a 2001 z28 a guy 8 hours from my house has for sale....

heres my question:

he told me the only thing wrong was that sometimes (the odd time he said) you have to pump the clutch because theres air in the hydraulic cylinder..ok, thats fine, he said if im serious he will replace it(and has since done so)...now i cant sleep and im leaving at 5am to go check it out because im worried that its the slave cylinder and wasnt the hydraulic at all...i cant have the tranny dropped as im dumping every cent i have into this car...he says it seems to be working top notch right now but i mean how much could he possibly have driven it since saterday...so im worried and need peace of mind that it was the hydraulic cylinder...he had a guy from chevy put it in so thats a bit relieving...but im so darn worried that when i get the car 8 hours back to my house, the clutch is gonna start going to the floor and its gonna be the slave cylinder....also parinoid because he said his wife was driving it up until last summer...

Please help!

its a 01 ss, 5.7L 6 speed

i posted in 2 spots cause i need some answers asap. sorry
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 AM
wrencher

No way to tell till you go look @ it.
if he had it repaired by a shop, has no fluid leaks, it now drives correctly & has the reicept for said repairs.
It *should* be OK. I would look it over real well.
Find a shop to do a pre buy inspection for you if you dont know enough....
Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM

thanks for the response, cant tell ya how much i appreciate it.

well what exactly am i looking for... if theres no leaks and it drives correctly, whats to say i dont get it half way home n the clutch goes to the floor...its literally in the middle of nowhere, in an unfamiliar territory and im out of time its either buy or leave. lol, like if i take it for a test drive, how long and approx how many shifts would i have to do until air started to be a problem again, this is driving me insane haha

ps. i know for 1 he thought it was a hell of alot harder to swap out the hydraulic cylinder then he thought it was going to be, he has his own shop to and seems to know what hes talking about...im just worried maybe his wife was trying to jam it into 2nd or somthing because she never knew about the skip shift, am i honestly being to parinoid? lol
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 AM

pss: the carfax checked out clean, he said he and she babied the car and he seems pretty sure it was the hydraulic cylinder as he bought the part at the end of last summer.

the reason im wondering is because i bought a 98 rs in the same location as this one, and got it home and all hell broke loose with the clutch slave and hydraulics on the way home(5 hours into my journey)...i really cant have this happen again as it drove me to absolute insanity and back haha

and your probly wondering why i go so far to get them, i live on the extreme east coast of canada and theres next to nothing for used v8 camaros or trans ams
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 AM
wrencher

Always a risk in buying a used car.
I wouldn't over think it too much till your there with the car looking @ it & driving it.
If it still has hydraulic issues is should be apparent.
The trans can take a beating from driving it with bad hydraulic's though.

Look it over well, if it dont seem up to par walk away & find another one to buy.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM

ok so to confirm im lookin for leaks underneth by the firewall, a clutch pedel thats not firm or stiff(with alot of "deadzone", and rough shifting gears?(bc of air in clutch.)?? as i said he said it was only once in a while, but i also kno pumping the clutch like that isnt good on the tranny, so how much damage could he actully have done if it only happens once in a while?

thanks dude appreciate it.

Quick Reply: help me please asap!