Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Question

I am thinking seriously about doing an a4 to m6 swap in my 99 z. I was talking to someone about it and I was told that the lt1 t-56 is better than the ls1 t-56. I read up on it a bit and found that the lt1 trannys were built in Germany and the ls1 trannys were built in Mexico, but they use basically the same parts. My questions I guess are as follows:

1) is there any strength/realiablity diiferences between the 2 and..

2) if so, what would it take to put an lt1 6 speed into my ls1 car?

I have read the stickies here and have done some research on the a4 to m6 swap so my questions really only involve what needs to be done to swap an lt1 tranny and if its worth it over the ls1 tranny. I know the bell is different and the input shaft so how would you get around that? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Just get the ls tranny and parts. The early lt1 tranny are actually weaker then the others. To put any lt1 trans in an ls1 car you have to use the ls1 bellhousing then change the front plate and input shaft of the trans to the ls1 parts. That's why it's easier to just get the right one
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I figured they couldn't be that different, but I just wanted to check before I go buying parts. Thanks!