Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump and T stat question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump and T stat question

Hey guys, I searched and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

My water pump went in the car, and I bought an ac delco replacement. They remade it different and I had to buy a thermostat housing and new tstat inside, which are now two different pieces. Water pump all looks the same, minus there is no back plate, and no bolts on the pump pulley, and the diameter of where the t-stat goes is smaller. (my old t-stat doesn't fit inside)

my question is, the thermostat doesn't sit flush prior to me tightening the bolts to it. will this affect it in any negative way? another question, once I get my fans tuned back to 160, is it as simple of me finding the same size/shape t-stat to go in there to switch to 160?

I've had problems ever since ordering from this online company as far as talking to someone competent. I wanted to ask you guys before I go insane google'ing this.

that is how it sits (bolts are just hand tight) and its very simple to tighten down, I don't have to force it. I just don't want to dirty up the part if I have to send it back to these a-holes.

also if I need to just return it all and start new, what should I go with? part #'s etc.

Thanks guys
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you have the LS2 style pump......it does NOT use a LS1 style stat.......other than that they are interchangeable
Old 07-25-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the information sjsingle1, to clarify above ^^, I did buy what was recommended from the company the housing and t-stat after calling them about the fitment. (different than my ls1 style t-stat)

now I have a two piece (1 the housing, the second the t-stat) thermostat to put back in, but it has that little 1/8" or less gap. is it okay that the lower part of the t-stat spring is slightly pushing on the inside there?

Edit

thanks 00pooterss, i see the part inside the water pump and seals off the passage, just wanted to make sure I wasn't forcing anything down.

edit

oldman02z, cool locktite doesn't sound like a bad idea as well.
and clyde it is a two piece housing

Last edited by 00SLPSS; 07-26-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

If I remember correctly the back of the thermostat has a spring and a little flap that contacts the back of the water pump housing. If you can push the thermostat down flush without tightening the bolts it should be just fine.

If you look at the water pump inside you should see where the washer/flap that is on the back of the thermostat contacts the housing and seals off that passage.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

my water pump is the same just tighten it to proper torque . i used lock tite blue stick on all my fasteners also . yeah i had the same gap between tstat and housing . no problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have the therm and housing together? If so, you need the the new LS2 neck and the therm is by itself.

Quick Reply: Water pump and T stat question