Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension Upgrades

Looking to change from the hose mod to lowering springs. My question is do the LCA's and PHB need to be adjustable or will the standard suffice. This is a daily driver which sees no track time.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

An adjustable panhard bar yes but not LCA's unless you want to race it
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sasquatch
Looking to change from the hose mod to lowering springs. My question is do the LCA's and PHB need to be adjustable or will the standard suffice. This is a daily driver which sees no track time.
You are going to definitely want to do the adjustable panhard rod to get the rear end centered up under the car once it is lowered. Lower control arms wouldn't be a bad idea either since they will do nothing but help with the performance and handling of the vehicle and a set of lower control arm relocation brackets will get the lower control geometry back where it needs to be. Another part that will help out is the adjustable torque arm, when you lower the car you are going to change up the pinion angle so using an adjustable pinion angle will allow you to get the pinion angle correct and will also help with the performance and handling of the car.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I guess this is what makes folks different.

I don't believe that every instance requires an adjustable Panhard bar. Is it a bad idea? No, but the fact is some cars just don't get thrown off (or are off the wrong way at stock height) from the lowering. Also the amount of lowering will change how much the car shifts. So, while it might cost me a sale in the short term, I'm ok with it because I'm not here only for that reason. I'd rather we see if you need the parts first.

LCA brackets. Fact is not every car has a hopping issue when lowered, and from a handling standpoint, the car is more stable with the car lowered and without brackets. Again, I'd prefer to wait and see if something like this is required first.

LCA's themselves. Again, not every car has a hop issue, and every type of LCA has pro's and con's. Some articulate well, but are noisy. Others are quiet, but don't articulate as well making the rear of the car stiffer than we might want. Stock tend to articulate well, and be quiet. You can also upgrade the bushings to solid rubber for less slop in the system too. If hop isn't an issue, than it's pretty hard to find a reason to be changing arms.

Yes, I sell the same kind of parts others here do. Don't take what I said to mean I won't sell those parts.... I have them, and if you want them that badly that you want to buy them regardless of you needing them that's ok with me. But if you asking advice, and it seems you are, I'd rather work a setup for you that fits your needs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info guys.