Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How do you remove 4th gen hard top headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you remove 4th gen hard top headliner?

Mine is sagging, so i'd like to get it recovered but is there an easy way to drop the head liner?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son did his and it is a solid sheet of plastic that attaches to the roof with Velcro tabs. you remove the POST pieces and then the headliner is sort of snapped off. He went the the junkyard and found one Dark Blue and he needed black so he bought Fabric Paint and painted it and installed the new one. His was sagging as well. To install just reverse order.. HOpe this helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP probably figured it out by now but this info may help somebody.

* Remove the 'A' pillar trim by pulling it towards the center of the car in the windshield post area and where it continues towards the rear of the car in the side window area it unclips from the roof by pulling the trim away from the inside of the car, kind of out the window.

* Remove the sunvisors, 3 screws each.

* The center of the headliner may be attached to the roof with a velco strip.

* Remove the interior light at the rear of the headliner. There is one of those plastic xmas tree type fastners there also that holds the headliner to the roof. I wrapped a piece of thin wire under the head of this fastener and pulled on the wire to remove the xmas tree type fastener. Do NOT pry under the head of this fastener against the headliner pad. The pad will be damaged if you pry against it.

* Remove the coat hooks on side panels by pulling out the plug part of hook on lower side of the hook. Then the hook will come out of the sidewalls.

* Pull the seatbelt plastic trim from the headliner to reveal a slit in the headliner for the seatbelt to be removed from its hole in the headliner.

* The rear seat sidewalls are stuck to the body with velcro. With the coat hooks removed pull the sidewalls inboard at the top to release the headliner.

The headliner can now be removed through the hatch. Be VERY careful with the headliner board as it is fragile and will crack instead of bending very much.

Last edited by guppymech; 08-26-2011 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kfm1999 (11-13-2022)

Quick Reply: How do you remove 4th gen hard top headliner?