Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Interior Light don't work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Light don't work.

Well the other day i had the smart idea to switching out the OEM bulbs for some LED's. Everything was going great till I tried to install the rear dome led, to keep it short I put the led the wrong way and blew the fuse. Well i couldn't find a matching amp fuse so I put in a 30 amp fuse thinking nothing could go wrong. So the fuse doesn't blow out but the rear dome starts to smoke.

Finally opened up the rear dome and the wire is completely melted....
There is no power going to ANY of the interior lights. But there is power in the fuse box. So I'm assuming I fried the BCM? Can any one give me a helping hand. I'm pretty much lost....

Thanks again,
Adrian.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like the BCM. The courtesy light circuit runs constant (battery) power through the COURTESY fuse to the BCM which then passes that power out to the courtesy and map lights. The courtesy lights are controlled by the BCM via the return (ground) side - it reduces the ground gradually to produce the theater dimming effect and then leaves the ground off until the next time the courtesy lights are needed. The map lights have a regular chassis ground so although they get constant power from the BCM, they are controlled solely by the switches on the mirror.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sounds like the BCM. The courtesy light circuit runs constant (battery) power through the COURTESY fuse to the BCM which then passes that power out to the courtesy and map lights. The courtesy lights are controlled by the BCM via the return (ground) side - it reduces the ground gradually to produce the theater dimming effect and then leaves the ground off until the next time the courtesy lights are needed. The map lights have a regular chassis ground so although they get constant power from the BCM, they are controlled solely by the switches on the mirror.
Thanks Whitebird, Ill look for a replacement BCM' and see if that will fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Interior Light don't work.