Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Headers hit frame. :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers hit frame. :/

Hey guys, I just put in some hooker headers on my 98 trans am. The headers work great but they're rubbing up against the frame in two places. I really don't feel like having to take the headers off again so I was wondering if anybody knew of any cheap shops around the Winter park/Oviedo area. Emphases on the cheap. I'm 17. Money is hard to come by. My occupation is cutting grass. -.- So please help, someone. Any tips are appreciated.

-Price

Last edited by N/A_gets_you_laid; 07-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

motor mounts are probably shot , a friend just had arh's put on and they hit , added a cam and procharged and ls6 intake and checked the mounts while it was torn down , yep one bad motor mount .
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It deff sounds like motor mounts.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Well the good news is I do have some new motor mounts.. Anyone know of a cheap shop that would get the job done?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Cheap and shop are 2 words never used in the same sentence..What part of town do you live in? Did you install the headers? Pretty sure there are people willing to
Do it that are on here. I can do it. if I can ever get days off work.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Learn to work on cars young man.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trevor.j
Cheap and shop are 2 words never used in the same sentence..What part of town do you live in? Did you install the headers? Pretty sure there are people willing to
Do it that are on here. I can do it. if I can ever get days off work.
Lol. Good point. I live in oviedo. And yes, I did install the headers. I did it mainly for the learning experience which is definitely what I got.
I can't keep driving the car with the frame rubbing against the header. I don't want to ruin the ceramic coating much less put a hole in the headers.
I wanted to run it this weekend at the track to see what the LTs do to the clock but it looks like it'll be another 20 hours in the garage.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Learn to work on cars young man.
How do you think I got the headers on my car in the first place.
I have the internet and the manual. I'm learning. Thanks for all the help, *******.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

With that kind of attitude there is not one person that's going to help you out.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N/A_gets_you_laid
How do you think I got the headers on my car in the first place.
I have the internet and the manual. I'm learning. Thanks for all the help, *******.
You didn't ask how to replace them, you asked where to get them fixed If you don't get defensive people like myself can share our experience with you.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Well if you need a place to work on it you can use my house. Although my garage is full of my trans am build i have a 2 car drive way. Idk if you have all the tools or what not. I'm still trying to see if I can get a day off or not
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ALH442
With that kind of attitude there is not one person that's going to help you out.
His sig says he was born in 1994. Young and immature. We were all there once.

Like they said though. Do it yourself. Most shops charge at least $60 an hour, with good shops well above $80. If it takes you 5 hours, that is $400 you can use somewhere else......
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I agree, Just research this topic and go at it yourself. I totally agree that it needs motor mounts. I did a poly one - drivers side only. Yes I know that isnt the best practice but it has been for for three years now. I did mine at work on a lift and it was a total bitch. However sometimes working on the car at home is easier because you have food or beer and comfort. At work it is just that work. I dont think he will be drinking beer though....17

That brings up the rest of the topic, "How do you think I got the headers on my car in the first place.
I have the internet and the manual. I'm learning. Thanks for all the help, *******."

Come on man were all here just trying to help. I for one would just sneak a smirk at you and think I was the same way but didnt go around calling people ********; then I would tell your to quit being a bitch you drive a ws6, man up. You are probably the bad *** kid at age 17 in Oviedo with a sweet trans am but on here your just a newbi that is about 10 years late to the party. The way you get respected and help here is totally up to you. If you want our help, Trevor is even offering his skill, house and tools, you will have to learn to stuff your ego aside from time to time. It can be hard but trust us - you will get farther in life in general.

Back to that quit being a bitch. First of all YOU CAN DRIVE YOUR CAR its not going to hurt the exhust or the car. It isnt going to wear off your coating and it sure as hell wont put a hole in the header. That is if your exhaus tis hitting where nearly everyones hits - the y-pipe on the drivers side right behind the collector around the bend. And if it is the y-pipe hitting it will be hitting on the flat spot of the uni-body and only cause slight marks and no damage. Mine was hitting there for about a year and I would heat the pipe up with a torch, bent it down with a pry bar and drive it until the mount finally broke. So if your like the rest of us your y-pipe is actually rubbing.

Review:

Give respect
Research your topic
Give Respect
Quit being a bitch
Give Respect
Fix your car and have fun doing it!!!
Drive you car like a man a have a blast!!!!

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions. Sometimes the answers you dont want are the best.

See you around town.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I go to ucf and I'd give you a hand once I get back up to school in a couple weeks motor mounts are just time consuming but there are several writeups that help. Few good wrenches and a set of jackstands and your fine.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
You didn't ask how to replace them, you asked where to get them fixed If you don't get defensive people like myself can share our experience with you.
I'm frustrated with how people are always thinking stereotypically.
All I was asking for was a good shop to take my car to. I didn't want an opinion of how much knowledge someone thinks I have. I'm sorry.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Yes I agree, Just research this topic and go at it yourself. I totally agree that it needs motor mounts. I did a poly one - drivers side only. Yes I know that isnt the best practice but it has been for for three years now. I did mine at work on a lift and it was a total bitch. However sometimes working on the car at home is easier because you have food or beer and comfort. At work it is just that work. I dont think he will be drinking beer though....17

That brings up the rest of the topic, "How do you think I got the headers on my car in the first place.
I have the internet and the manual. I'm learning. Thanks for all the help, *******."

Come on man were all here just trying to help. I for one would just sneak a smirk at you and think I was the same way but didnt go around calling people ********; then I would tell your to quit being a bitch you drive a ws6, man up. You are probably the bad *** kid at age 17 in Oviedo with a sweet trans am but on here your just a newbi that is about 10 years late to the party. The way you get respected and help here is totally up to you. If you want our help, Trevor is even offering his skill, house and tools, you will have to learn to stuff your ego aside from time to time. It can be hard but trust us - you will get farther in life in general.

Back to that quit being a bitch. First of all YOU CAN DRIVE YOUR CAR its not going to hurt the exhust or the car. It isnt going to wear off your coating and it sure as hell wont put a hole in the header. That is if your exhaus tis hitting where nearly everyones hits - the y-pipe on the drivers side right behind the collector around the bend. And if it is the y-pipe hitting it will be hitting on the flat spot of the uni-body and only cause slight marks and no damage. Mine was hitting there for about a year and I would heat the pipe up with a torch, bent it down with a pry bar and drive it until the mount finally broke. So if your like the rest of us your y-pipe is actually rubbing.

Review:

Give respect
Research your topic
Give Respect
Quit being a bitch
Give Respect
Fix your car and have fun doing it!!!
Drive you car like a man a have a blast!!!!

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions. Sometimes the answers you dont want are the best.

See you around town.
It's a frustrating game you guys have here. But sure. I do drive a trans am so I'll shut up, quit being a bitch, etc. I didn't post this thread to make enemies or **** anyone off. Turns out I'll probably just do them with my brother and try save 200 bucks.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N/A_gets_you_laid
I'm frustrated with how people are always thinking stereotypically.
There were no personal attacks, we were just trying to help.

I highly recommend poly motor mounts.

http://www.ls1engine.com/tech/98-02-...install-guide/
Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

I have the urethane motor mounts on my desk right now waiting to be put in.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Where are they hitting the frame?

That will happen with some headers. My Y-pipe hit my floorboards. Wrapped the Y pipe in high-temp rubber and band clamped it. Works great.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's no game just trying to help each other out. I hope your mounts go in well and you have fun working on them. Sometimes its hard to read inflection in a thread post; I dont think anyone was attempting to be mean or condesending towards you.

Sorry if it came across that way.

On another note, If you want to sell your wheels let me know. I WANT THOSE!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Headers hit frame. :/