Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What kind of break-in is necessary for a dual friction clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What kind of break-in is necessary for a dual friction clutch?

Is it necessary to drive 500 miles before gettting aggresive with it?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would break any new clutch before any hard driving is done. 500 is the norm.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the reply. The problem is, with this clutch, it is very unforgiving. Any other clutch I've had, driving normally has never been a problem. This clutch has got to be the touchiest clutch I've ever driven on the street. Sure, it may be great at the track, but stop n go traffic is a bit@h when it gets hot. There really isn't that much pedal travel before it is fully engaged. Slipping it is damn near impossible.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I would break any new clutch before any hard driving is done. 500 is the norm.
x2.. That's what McLeod told me too. Mine almost drives like stock, just a heavy pedal.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by big dave
thanks for the reply. The problem is, with this clutch, it is very unforgiving. Any other clutch I've had, driving normally has never been a problem. This clutch has got to be the touchiest clutch I've ever driven on the street. Sure, it may be great at the track, but stop n go traffic is a bit@h when it gets hot. There really isn't that much pedal travel before it is fully engaged. Slipping it is damn near impossible.
what kind of clutch is it? and did you get a new flywheel, or cut your old one?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

500 miles of STOP AND GO. Highway miles don't count.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bp m1009
what kind of clutch is it? and did you get a new flywheel, or cut your old one?
It is a McLeod clutch. I don't know how I can possibly do 500 miles with this clutch. The pedal pressure is fine, there is just very little little modulation before the clutch engages. After it gets hot, it's even more aggressive.

How are you supposed to launch a car with this type of clutch? I was accustomed to riding the clutch a little on street tires to get it leave with my original Mcleod clutch. That method was getting me 1.8 60' on the street tires. That will be next to impossible with this one.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Launching!

if the pedal grabs right off the floor it sounds to me like your slave cylinder isnt disengaging all the way, thats why i asked if you reused your old flywheel and had it cut? because if you do so, you are removing material from the flywheel, which the clutch and pressure plate are mounted to. doing this then moves the pressure plate that much further away from the slave cylinder, causing it to grab so early. basically your slave cylinder no longer has enough travel to fully disengage the clutch because the pressure plate is too far away from the slave.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Now, with the new setup, the clutch grabs towards the top of the pedal travel. I've adjusted the tick mc to grab a bit towards the middle but I think it may be still a bit too high. Right now, the clutch pedal sits about an inch higher than the brake pedal. I think the correct placement for this clutch may be adjusting the clutch pedal to where it is right in line with the brake pedal.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most manufacturers send a break-in sheet with their clutches. We suggest reading it and following it during every install.
Originally Posted by big dave
Now, with the new setup, the clutch grabs towards the top of the pedal travel. I've adjusted the tick mc to grab a bit towards the middle but I think it may be still a bit too high. Right now, the clutch pedal sits about an inch higher than the brake pedal. I think the correct placement for this clutch may be adjusting the clutch pedal to where it is right in line with the brake pedal.
Our kit doesn't allow you to choose where you want the clutch to grab at, it allows you to adjust the amount of fluid the system flows to enable a complete disengagement. Go back and readjust our kit using our adjustment instructions, setting it where it needs to be rather than where you want it to be. Otherwise, you risk damaging the clutch, and we definitely don't want that!

Quick Reply: What kind of break-in is necessary for a dual friction clutch?