Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trunk wont close! HELP its going to rain any second

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk wont close! HELP its going to rain any second

i popped my trunk and it wont close now, now even first latch, the metal thing that pulls it down is blocking it, i need help asap its gonna pour any second
Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont know what youre talking about when you say the metal thing is blocking it , but I had trouble with closing the trunk before , I believe there are 4 screws holding the "latch" under the trunk cover , I loosened the bolts and tried to adjust it till it would close , it worked for me ..
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM

is there some kind of manual release button to put it into the open position please help im freeaking out
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM

the part the pulls it down the brass piece or whatever, its blocking the trunk from latching, like it wont even click into the first latch let alone pull down, its gonna pour here in like 8 minutes and im freakin
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you mean the latch is latched closed with the hatch open? If so, use your key to unlatch it

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That, or just push the release again. It sounds like it got bumped by something (maybe when loading/unloading something from the hatch?) and got clicked into the latched position again.

Sometimes, instead of freaking out right away, you need to just step back, take a breath, and think through how something works
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bungey chords could be used to tie the latch down....not my first option, but it would be quicker than putting it on a forum

Also, you could cover it with a tarp, try to push the piece out of the way or as mentioned use your key to move it, or sit on the trunk out in the rain to keep it held down.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Having same exact problem... Can't tell but does seem like latch is closed with my trunk open..
Brass piece just has a spring on it and seems to be working fine and the male piece on the actual trunk lid is normal so assuming it has to be the latch Mech.
I have already turned key, hit release button and messed with the latches trying to turn them either way with a screwdriver..!! About to start pulling it off now to fix or replace. Any suggestions or help much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Teching In

I got it. Have to use remote or have someone hit button while u use a screwdriver to open latch... Had already bent a screwdriver trying, I must have hit the latch with something while putting stuff in trunk. The latch mech. Doesn't kno the trunk is not closed after its
Hit and will not open back up, have to force it while activating from button. Thanks anyway lol
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a similar problem when I had my T-top dual 12" box. The trunk would close but wouldn't latch. Had to pick the box up 1/2" to allow the latch to release or reset. Time to spray some liquid lovin' in there.

Quick Reply: trunk wont close! HELP its going to rain any second