Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone have this....Sony XAV-72BT

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Anyone have this....Sony XAV-72BT

Just curious how you like it or if there's any negatives. I want to maybe put it on my Trans Am.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't but the specs look pretty good. Found it for a pretty nice price too but not finding much in way of reviews.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

This is one of those units that looks great on paper. In real life... Meh. I would give it a B- THe problem with the unit is the time that it takes to load (in all capacities) Dont get me wrong. I like Sony products. I would pass on this one though.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by braveplayer3160
This is one of those units that looks great on paper. In real life... Meh. I would give it a B- THe problem with the unit is the time that it takes to load (in all capacities) Dont get me wrong. I like Sony products. I would pass on this one though.
Damn good point, one that a lot of times you don't realize until it's too late.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Can you guys give me some ideas for a nice double din that has a large screen like that Sony.
I'm not a real in depth electronics person....I just want to play DVD movies on it, plug my Apple phone in to play the music from that, and have a USB plug for other music on bullets and stuff.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, my pick for a DD is Clarion NX501. By far.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Personally, my pick for a DD is Clarion NX501. By far.
Not bad.

BUT....I watched a youtube demo of the unit. Is it true you can't watch a DVD movie while the car is moving????? Any way to bypass that?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not bad.

BUT....I watched a youtube demo of the unit. Is it true you can't watch a DVD movie while the car is moving????? Any way to bypass that?

all head units are like that and it is illegal to bypass it but I'm sure some one might tell you
Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I would stay away from Sony head units in general unless you're just looking for something cheap, even then I'd stick to a JVC/Pioneer/Alpine. Selling quite a few of each has made me biased. If it was ME buying a touch screen for my car, it would definitely be a newer Pioneer. They are much cheaper compared to a Kenwood/Alpine and have excellent iPod interfaces, and are worlds faster than any Sony I've dealt with.

As far as bypassing the parking brake switch, most just look for a "change of ground" so if you hook it up to a toggle switch then flip the switch every time you start the car, it will work. Some newer Pioneers are smart to this though and require a box which can be bought on eBay. But you didn't hear it from me.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyke99
I would stay away from Sony head units in general unless you're just looking for something cheap, even then I'd stick to a JVC/Pioneer/Alpine. Selling quite a few of each has made me biased. If it was ME buying a touch screen for my car, it would definitely be a newer Pioneer. They are much cheaper compared to a Kenwood/Alpine and have excellent iPod interfaces, and are worlds faster than any Sony I've dealt with.

As far as bypassing the parking brake switch, most just look for a "change of ground" so if you hook it up to a toggle switch then flip the switch every time you start the car, it will work. Some newer Pioneers are smart to this though and require a box which can be bought on eBay. But you didn't hear it from me.
Cool, thanks. I'll definitely do more research into those other units. And yes, its a must to have the DVD work while driving...anything to keep the girlfriend quiet for a little while.....lol

I was in Saskatchewan last Thursday, just flew a plane in to pick people up and then leave for Miami........

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Cool, thanks. I'll definitely do more research into those other units. And yes, its a must to have the DVD work while driving...anything to keep the girlfriend quiet for a little while.....lol

I was in Saskatchewan last Thursday, just flew a plane in to pick people up and then leave for Miami........
Interesting, I was actually just down in Florida not too long ago. Where abouts were you in SK? You really didn't miss much by only being here for (I assume) a couple hours.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyke99
Interesting, I was actually just down in Florida not too long ago. Where abouts were you in SK? You really didn't miss much by only being here for (I assume) a couple hours.
I'm a corporate jet pilot, we flew in to Stony Rapids Airport (CYSF) just to pick up my boss, he was there for a little vacation. He has a house somewhere up there in the woods. We just refueled, waited about 20 minutes for him to show up and left. Then we flew him to his house in Benton Harbor Michigan.

Yea, what a coincidence....SK guy comes to Florida and a Florida guy goes to SK...same week...both LS1tech.com members with F-Bodys.

Quick Reply: Anyone have this....Sony XAV-72BT