LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lets talk about Super Vic Manifolds for LTX !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lets talk about Super Vic Manifolds for LTX !!!

Ok so Im currently using an LT4 intake etc and have noticed alot of guys over the years with a 'Super vic' manifold. Most run an elbow on top etc and run it with FI of course. I always used to assume running a super vic was a carb setup so i never really paid any attention.
I know a few guys run them here and instead of pm'ing all of them I thought to just ask out here so others can read up if interested as well.

I've been talking to Hogan about a sheet metal intake and obviously cost is huge and I'm not sure I really want to drop the $$ while still only running an LT4 head. I've been thinking more and more about the SUpervic intakes and about getting one made for my app.

if you guys who have them don't mind me asking is there anyone that is well known for retrofitting these to the LTX? Also someone who ports them as well?

I don't have the clearance to run a large elbow that sits atop the manifold but I have been thinking to maybe get Hogan to build me a giant plenum that can sit right on top of the svic. SOmething not as tall height wise but very wide. it wouldnt have the ideal flow path as some I've seen but I do know plenum volume can impact a high rpm motor quite a bit.

Lastly or I guess the first question should be is what part # are we using to start off with for a SUpervic? Considering its cost I think I might do this as a little project while I get the car running and then hit a dyno with both manifolds and see how it impacts it all over the curve.

** ok did alot of reading and this is a hugely popular setup with the ls guys as well . The elbow seems to be the critical piece as a low profile elbow obviously starves the front cylinders for air.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one at a local shop right now. I can tell you that AI told me they no longer modify the intake unless you are purchasing their heads package. I will be going carbed.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Llyod, Bret(if he is still open, I heard he closed recently), and Craig all port and convert supervics to LTX, but any competent machine shop can get the job done - it just depends on how pretty you want it and how much you want to spend.

Craig did mine for Sikora a couple years back and he not only cut/shaved the t-stat housing, but cut out the base and replaced it with Carbon Fiber for a lifter valley heat shield. It was an SBC one, not EFI, so he also had to weld in the injector bosses.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i converted mine at home myself..........and AI did some port work for me in conjunction with my own port work.........personally i think a super victor will be too much for your motor......i veered away from the super victor due to the large cross sectional area in the runners....velocity is also your friend.....I ran the Victor E EFI from edelbrock with a bit of work done to it.......i dont really want to go into specifics on here but keep that in mind.......gaining 4hp up top and loosing 15 at 5000 is not worth it

also the carbon fiber base I'm not too crazy about.....aluminum is a good heat sink to get rid of heat.......carbon fiber is not........while it looks cool I'm not sure if its the right direction to head in however........and as for the thermostat housing i didn't have the time when i put mine together to cut it weld it and sand it down.......so i just made the block off plate instead........confuses alot of people when i open the hood at a car show and all the old timers are asking me why i blocked off my thermostat housing lol

also i re drilled my 4 center bolts on the heads to the SBC pattern and re drilled the intake for the four outside.....if you dont redrill the four insides to the sbc pattern its nearly impossible to get the bolts in and tightened......

good luck!!

Last edited by quik95lt1; 07-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i converted mine at home myself..........and AI did some port work for me in conjunction with my own port work.........personally i think a super victor will be too much for your motor......i veered away from the super victor due to the large cross sectional area in the runners....velocity is also your friend.....I ran the Victor E EFI from edelbrock with a bit of work done to it.......i dont really want to go into specifics on here but keep that in mind.......gaining 4hp up top and loosing 15 at 5000 is not worth it

also the carbon fiber base I'm not too crazy about.....aluminum is a good heat sink to get rid of heat.......carbon fiber is not........while it looks cool I'm not sure if its the right direction to head in however........and as for the thermostat housing i didn't have the time when i put mine together to cut it weld it and sand it down.......so i just made the block off plate instead........confuses alot of people when i open the hood at a car show and all the old timers are asking me why i blocked off my thermostat housing lol

also i re drilled my 4 center bolts on the heads to the SBC pattern and re drilled the intake for the four outside.....if you dont redrill the four insides to the sbc pattern its nearly impossible to get the bolts in and tightened......

good luck!!
The aluminum under the intake won't get rid of heat since the intake is not nearly as hot as the block...it will pull and hold heat from the heads and lifter valley instead of dissipating any from the intake.

Better to just isolate it from the heat completely - along with the heat resistant phenolic intake gaskets I will be making my intake should be pretty much totally isolated from any heat, and only stay as hot as the underhood air temps. I've got a nifty laser thermometer to test runner temps compared to cylinder head temps to see the difference, and I'm also hoping it will keep the intake cooler longer from icing between runs.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

The overwhelming majority of applications will run better with.... the OEM manifold. We convert single plane manifolds if we have the heads in hand, but at this point only if it is our head. You can make it simply bolt on, or you can make it work well. The latter would entail you tearing apart the engine Karl put together to send the heads back down here.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Super Vic Manifolds for LTX !!!