LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump install help, what is this O ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water pump install help, what is this O ring

My friend camaro z28 97 water pump is leaking, I brough new GMB Water Pump Part No 130-7100 from advance auto part. I have few question

Their is 1 little O ring that came with 2 gasket on the water pump kit, where that O ring go ?

about the coupling on driveshaft , I saw a pix on shbox and it have 2 O ring, but mine do not have O ring.

some peoples lube the coupling tube , what I need to use ? do I need it ?

I take off the coupling on driveshaft to clean, does it matter which way it go back in, cause I dint pay attention, I note one side have a circle mark around it, is that side with circle mark , its for the engine side or water pump side ?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The groove on the coupler goes toward the engine. The o-ring goes on the water pump drive mechanism sticking out of the timing cover just behind the splined gear, like in this picture:

Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where the black o-ring in the post above is, my 95 coupling has some sort of plastic o-ring, or washer, its on there pretty good, and not sure if i even need to replace it with new o-ring? any thoughts
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The groove on the coupler goes toward the engine. The o-ring goes on the water pump drive mechanism sticking out of the timing cover just behind the splined gear, like in this picture:

I know this is older but I have a question about the water pump drive gear. Is it suppose to have that grove in there like that? I thought I saw some that were all flat with out the grove. ( talking about the grove ring on the silver piece in that picture )
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truthfully I don't remember since I haven't had a cam-driven water pump in 8 years. I'm sure someone else could chime in though.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The seal surface area is completely flat and smooth on a new drive. Any groove is caused by wear from the seal. I think that picture show more of a shiny area that might look like a groove, but perhaps there is a little wear.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
The seal surface area is completely flat and smooth on a new drive. Any groove is caused by wear from the seal. I think that picture show more of a shiny area that might look like a groove, but perhaps there is a little wear.
Ok thanks, as my motor sits now and the drive gear is out mine does have a grove, and i was trying to figure out if i need to geta new one. I'm guessing I will have to pick one up then since we figured the grove was worn in. ( the rubber gasket was hard )

Quick Reply: Water pump install help, what is this O ring