Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV & WG Vac Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BOV & WG Vac Lines

OKAY, this should be an easy one:

1. What vac source are people hooking the BOV to.

2. What vac/boost source are people hooking their WG to

3. What manual boost controller works well and is easily adjustable???

Right now, I am just running off my WG spring with a vac line directly hooked to the turbo.

On my BOV, it is not hooked to anything at this point.
The drawing sent from TIAL was not clear so it is just hanging out there...

Any help would be great!

Adam
Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

WG is best ran from at or near the turbo, so you don't get any pressure drop. BOV is usually intake manifold post-throttle plate (my Synapse has two there and one by the turbo), but I'd follow Tial's picture (can't find one online). It's probably more important to have a large, dedicated vacuum port than to nitpick over where exactly to take the signal from.

MBCs of the ball-and-spring type are basically all the same. Even this will work fine.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did run the BOV with to the intake POST throttle body but the vacuum from the engine OPENS the BOV at idle....didn't seem right.
With the BOV open at idle due to the vacuum of the engine pulling the diaphragm open, any dirt in the air is going to by-pass the air filter....I think this is the one I need help on most....

My waste gate is hooked up to the turbo with about 8 inches of line so it is very close to the boost source.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Launching!

sounds like you need a stiffer BOV spring. check how much vacuum you have a idle, then call tial and they'll set you up with the correct spring. There are also a couple threads on here that have charts showing what spring you need for how much vacuum at idle.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gimmeluvin
sounds like you need a stiffer BOV spring. check how much vacuum you have a idle, then call tial and they'll set you up with the correct spring. There are also a couple threads on here that have charts showing what spring you need for how much vacuum at idle.
yea, I have a lot of vacuum at idle...I think about 20 hg at idle....

The box that the BOV came in said it was a 6 PSI spring???

Looking at their web site, looks like I need a -11 PSI spring...I AM WAY OFF!

So, I must be loosing a lot of boost if I do not have anything holding my BOV when I am boosting the car.....So the car should be faster when I hooked up the BOV with the new spring! YES!!!

Last edited by Chicago TDP; 07-28-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
I did run the BOV with to the intake POST throttle body but the vacuum from the engine OPENS the BOV at idle....didn't seem right.
With the BOV open at idle due to the vacuum of the engine pulling the diaphragm open, any dirt in the air is going to by-pass the air filter....I think this is the one I need help on most....
Are you sure it's not blowing air out at idle? That would speak to an efficient compressor...that's a good sign. Mine blows pretty hard at idle, so I don't worry with a filter. Filters are for sissies.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by überschnell
Are you sure it's not blowing air out at idle? That would speak to an efficient compressor...that's a good sign. Mine blows pretty hard at idle, so I don't worry with a filter. Filters are for sissies.
NO, it sucks at idle, lol.
The turbo is not that efficient but I wish it was.
I can see that at idle on my vac/boost gauge that the car has very strong vacuum at idle, almost 20 Hg.

I need an air filter, I am guilty of running dusty roads around me...Illinois has road construction 24/7 it seems like and the road conditions are terrible.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, put in an 11 PSI BOV spring and the car got even faster after already feeling fast!!!!

Now I need to dial down the waste gate spring....hit 20 PSI of BOOST!!!!! YIKES

Or, I could just go 3 Bar now??? Hmmmmmm....
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Launching!

definatly turn down the boost! Atleast until you know your safe at higher boost levels. Is your car tuned yet? what fuel are you running?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am still tuning it.
It is running 10.5 AFR above 10 PSI right now, 11.5 AFR in boost otherwise.

I am on 93 at the moment, I drive the car every day to and from work as well as the grocery store, LOL.

The car is much snappier now that I am not blowing boost out the BOV!
I was peaking out at 15 PSI and saw a spike last night when I went out to log data after I put the new spring in.
I am going to turn the boost down though, 20 PSI felt a little too fast (if there is such a thing!)

Gonna try to hit the track tomorrow night though.
Going to be short lived though, no cage in the car and I am shooting for low 11's.

Quick Reply: BOV & WG Vac Lines