Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking diff

I recently cahange the oil and put a new cover on my diff because the old cover was a bit bent on the bottom which i thought was the reason for the leak. much to my dismay though, even with the new cover and gasket and rtv, it still leaks. what is the propper amount of torque that should be applied to the bolts?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use the gasket. Just RTV. When I used to use the gasket, it always leaks.

I use the Copper RTV, just because I have it laying around.
I clean both surfaces, lay a bead roughly 3/16" wide around the cover (along the middle and on the inside of the bolt holes as I go around them). I then make half circles around the outside of the holes.

I wait a minimum of 20 minutes, usually longer (as I clean out the housing or do something else.
The bead should have a skin on it, that you can touch without getting the RTV on your finger.

You can now put it on.

I put the bolts on by hand then snug them up evenly, using a cross pattern tightening sequence.
I then torque them to spec, which I don't have in front of me at the minute. lol.

Last edited by ROCNDAV; 07-29-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I used blue rtv for the same reason, it was sitting around. i applied an even layer on the bonding surface of the diff after i scraped the old gasket off and cleaned it with engine degreaser. i then put the gasket on and put a layer of rtv on the cover and bolted it on. i tigtened it as much as i could with a 1/4 in drive so i had less of a chance of overtightening
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used the blue, so I don't know anything about it.

Did you leave it out for a while, so it dries a little bit?

Are you sure it is leaking at the cover and not just collecting there (lowest point of the diff) and actually leakage from bolt holes, fill plug, pinion seal...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

i waited about half an hour before refilling it. the leak is at the very bottom center and nowhere else, the upside though as it only leaks a few drops after being driven as apposed to leaking a lot all the time
Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

these rears really are a pita. ive always some seeping. nothing major. especially since i went with an aftermarket cover.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
these rears really are a pita. ive always some seeping. nothing major. especially since i went with an aftermarket cover.
it really is a pain. also how do i know which diff i have, aubern or the other one?