Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who's lowered their car w/o new shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's lowered their car w/o new shocks??

Just wondered what the diff in ride quality new shocks would bring.....I'm considering KYB AGX's.....I am just recently lowered onto Hotchkis springs and stock shocks....the ride feels GREAT to me right now but my Bird only has 21k miles on it....My buddy with a 96 WS6 has had his stock shocks in with the same hotchkis springs for over a year and his STILL rides nice.....Is it worth coughing up the extra 200.00+ bux for a set of shocks?????
Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope. wait till the ride feels bad to you, then get new shocks. otherwise, if you don't notice a change for the worse, why would you change them? unless of course you start road racing or autocrossing. i can tell you that your ride will get worse because the stock shocks are crap for stock springs, and are especially crap for lowered springs. until that point becomes noticeable (which i'm sure it eventually will), don't go to the trouble to change them. who knows, you may sell/wreck/something your car before that time comes. save the money, effort, and time for now.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Stock shocks are not valved for the rate of the new spring therefore they will not be able to give you max performance. Personnally, I would have changed the shocks when you put in the springs so that you won't have to go back and do it again. I think that the stock shocks will wear out rather quickly with those springs. A popular choice for shocks is to call SamStrano and get some Billsteins revalved for your spring. Thats what I am doing.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i agree i put a set of intrax and i have the stock decarbons an my car, rides great, but i wish the rear was a bit stiffer, but then again its all personal preference, and i installed my springs my self and it took 8- hors to do because of the strut bolt under the master cylinder
Old 03-02-2004, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Damn!!! I wish I had the $$$ to do it when the springs went in but couldnt quite swing it....I bought the SFC's instead...I like the way it rides right now, and as I mentioned my buddies 96 STILL rides really nice with the stock shocks in....what should I expect when the start to go south....bottoming out, rubbing....????
Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm just a lazy old man and it's raining....in other words to lazy to look for myself....what kind of shocks come stock?? Someone told me Bilstiens......?? True?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

The Bilstiens were only a option not all came with them
Old 03-04-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said, when the car handles poorly, and the ride quality seems bad, that's when you need new shocks. they will make noise too, but stock shocks make noise the day you drive them off the lot, so i wouldn't really call that a symptom. don't even worry about it for now, seriously. you aren't going to kill your car.

Quick Reply: Who's lowered their car w/o new shocks??