Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trans Am Intercooler Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Intercooler Options

I am in the very early stages of planning my LT1 Trans Am turbo build and had a question about my intercooler options (I'm shooting for 500ish rwhp). I know a lot of the LS1 TAs cut open the license plate area to really increase the flow, but I don't have that and I'm not going to cut open my front end for airflow.

So what are my options? Is a front mount intercooler and getting rid of the fog lights and using the openings enough airflow?

How about if I leave my fog lights in and DIY a dual intercooler set-up like the ProCharger one below? I'd like this option best if it would be sufficient.

Are there any other options that would allow me to keep the stock look and provide adequate cooling?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look through this thread, this is a air to water system that we supply with our twin turbo LS1 kit. It is available separately. When we dyno tested the kit air temps never got beyond 10 degrees of ambient temperature. This is outstanding performance for any intercooler system. It's not ebay cheap, but you don't have to butcher the front of your car or delete the fog lights either. Just read through the thread and you will see some good pics of the intercooler.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...t-install.html
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I saw that kit the other day and Even though it is several times my budget for the project, I still think might end up buying it if you made one for the LT1 crowd! Very, very well done!

How much would you be willing to sell the intercooler set-up for? PM is fine if you prefer. So you put the intercooler reservoir where the spare was, run the A2W intercooler behind the those and put the radiator for the intercooler horizontally just behind it with a fan pulling air through it, right? Are A2W systems good for street cars too? This car is my DD for most of the year.

Also, would a A2A intercooler mounted like the radiator for your A2W intercooler not be sufficient because of it being less efficient for cooling?

thanks for the reply!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
Yeah, I saw that kit the other day and Even though it is several times my budget for the project, I still think might end up buying it if you made one for the LT1 crowd! Very, very well done!

How much would you be willing to sell the intercooler set-up for? PM is fine if you prefer. So you put the intercooler reservoir where the spare was, run the A2W intercooler behind the those and put the radiator for the intercooler horizontally just behind it with a fan pulling air through it, right? Are A2W systems good for street cars too? This car is my DD for most of the year.

Also, would a A2A intercooler mounted like the radiator for your A2W intercooler not be sufficient because of it being less efficient for cooling?

thanks for the reply!

We have tested our systems cooling capabilities. Our system maintained sub 100 degree IAT's @ 670FWHP ambient was 70%humidity and 96 degrees.

you have a pm

Quick Reply: Trans Am Intercooler Options