Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about doing a head swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about doing a head swap

buying a set of fully assembled heads for my ls1 and besides getting new head gaskets is there anything else i need to get to do the head swap? i already have a new bbk ssi intake that i will be putting on at the same time anythign i need for that besides the intake gaskets
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a new set of valve cover gaskets, they are the o-ring design, but they swell once they get heat in them, and if they pop out of the groove in the cover you will not be getting them back in. You can reuse your exhaust manifold gaskets. Not sure about intake gaskets on that bbk intake. there is a good write up on head swaps here, may help you out.
http://ls1howto.com/
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to get new head bolts if you already didn't know. I suggest the arps, even though they are more money I think in the long run they are well worth it. Other than that I would also get a new pcv valve if yours hasn’t been replaced in a while.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would replace every elastomeric seal that you encounter.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
buying a set of fully assembled heads for my ls1 and besides getting new head gaskets is there anything else i need to get to do the head swap? i already have a new bbk ssi intake that i will be putting on at the same time anythign i need for that besides the intake gaskets
Measure for Pushrods, (need hardened), know your head gasket size (esp if different from stock. Head bolts/studs (ARP), make sure the bolt holes ARE EXTREMELY CLEAN!! You CAN CRACK THE BLOCK!!!

IMO sell the BBK and get a used LS6 or maybe a used FAST. Thats my opinion but make sure the gaskets are new.

Also a PLASTIC fuel disconnect tool, NOT THE METAL, you can/will break the lock and a new like is 70$ at the dealership.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Measure for Pushrods, (need hardened), know your head gasket size (esp if different from stock. Head bolts/studs (ARP), make sure the bolt holes ARE EXTREMELY CLEAN!! You CAN CRACK THE BLOCK!!!

IMO sell the BBK and get a used LS6 or maybe a used FAST. Thats my opinion but make sure the gaskets are new.

Also a PLASTIC fuel disconnect tool, NOT THE METAL, you can/will break the lock and a new like is 70$ at the dealership.
Ive done probably 200 disconnects with a metal tool and never a problem. You cant use the shitty metal ones that are cast, but the billet ones are ****. The plastics wear out if you use them alot.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Ive done probably 200 disconnects with a metal tool and never a problem. You cant use the shitty metal ones that are cast, but the billet ones are ****. The plastics wear out if you use them alot.
Thats all well and good but you need to think about the OP, he is not going to remove his 200, 100, 50, or even 10 times. MAYBE 1-4 times over the lifetime and the shitty metal ones are the ones that break the lock and for cheap $$$ he can buy one @ Sears or where ever that have multiple sizes.

He is not going to be buying billet either but at a autoparts store, either an employee, a friend, or through self research will ask him and the is going straight for the "Shitty Tool"

On a side note, I have disconnected lines probably 20 times over various cars including my own and it shows no wear marks so whos to say.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Thats all well and good but you need to think about the OP, he is not going to remove his 200, 100, 50, or even 10 times. MAYBE 1-4 times over the lifetime and the shitty metal ones are the ones that break the lock and for cheap $$$ he can buy one @ Sears or where ever that have multiple sizes.

He is not going to be buying billet either but at a autoparts store, either an employee, a friend, or through self research will ask him and the is going straight for the "Shitty Tool"

On a side note, I have disconnected lines probably 20 times over various cars including my own and it shows no wear marks so whos to say.
well again you have to be careful because different autoparts stores sell different quality plastic ones too, the bright multi-coloreds suck, the white lisles are ok... The billet ones I speak of are about $35 not like it's a fortune
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

If you are doing a head swap, I would look into the following

New lifters- you are there mise well replace them
Head gaskets
head bolts/head studs
upgrade for rockers while they are out of the car
exhaust manifold gaskets
valve cover gaskets
new pushrods-hardened if heads are milled or not factory heads
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RsSean
If you are doing a head swap, I would look into the following

New lifters- you are there mise well replace them
Head gaskets
head bolts/head studs
upgrade for rockers while they are out of the car
exhaust manifold gaskets
valve cover gaskets
new pushrods-hardened if heads are milled or not factory heads
This and maybe some TR6's. Some guys run the TR55's after heads/cam, but it seems most like the TR6's best.