Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

People who had transmission problems. Come in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default People who had transmission problems. Come in.

So Today I re solder my bcm thinking it would fix the problem, it didnt. My bcm turns off for a mini sec making the lights on my dash blink for a few seconds, and then the air bag light stays flashing on for a couple secs. My car is not responding the same way it use to. when I have it on drive, 1st gear seems a bit long, jumps hard into 2nd, smooth onto 3rd and fourth. When I press the pedal all the way, theres no responce, or kick.
I know I will need to buy a new bcm. any of you know where I can get a killer deal?

Im getting my transmisison checked out on tuesday.

My question is... what type of reactions have you had from your car when the transmission starts going out.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When a tranny usually goes out it slips. Why would you even attempt to fix a computer if you have no clue of the affect? I sure wouldn't touch one. So did you "fix" your BCM or PMC? You hve to remember that all computer work together and need each other. If you created more resistance then needed then you might of damaged something in there. These parts are very sensitive. What excatly did you solder?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mannyman84
When a tranny usually goes out it slips. Why would you even attempt to fix a computer if you have no clue of the affect? I sure wouldn't touch one. So did you "fix" your BCM or PMC? You hve to remember that all computer work together and need each other. If you created more resistance then needed then you might of damaged something in there. These parts are very sensitive. What excatly did you solder?
Im having 2 problems. BCM going out, and Transmission feeling funny.
I asked in the electronics section said that the T that forms in the back of the BCM the bottom port has a hairline crack. Said to solder it and it should be good. seems its still the same thing.
I think im just gonna go ahead and purchase a new one. any of you have recommendations to where I can get one? It would help alot.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be your best bet since you don't know if that's causing both problems. Honestyl I have no clue. Find someone parting out an Fbody. I have a control module but it might not be the one you need. It's the one under the center console.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be your best bet since you don't know if that's causing both problems. Honestyl I have no clue. Find someone parting out an Fbody. I have a control module but it might not be the one you need. It's the one under the center console.
No thats not it. some guys on here said that its not just a plug and play thing. The bcm needs to be somewhat identical to the one originally off your car in order to work, if not, youll have to get the vin # of the car from the new used bcm, and get a new key made, in order to start.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
No thats not it. some guys on here said that its not just a plug and play thing. The bcm needs to be somewhat identical to the one originally off your car in order to work, if not, youll have to get the vin # of the car from the new used bcm, and get a new key made, in order to start.
try bypassing your VATS
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

You just cant swap out to any used BCM because the resistor value will be different. He has to get a unused BCM and program it with his key to work. or he can just bypass the VATS from his pcm and use any bcm he wants. AND technically the computers don't "need" each other they are just networked to each other to process outputs through their inputs. You don't need a BCM for the car to run if you tell it that the BCM is not longer there (VATS Disable).

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 07-31-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bcm also controls other things not just the vats system. And yes a lot of vehicles now a days have computers that communicate with each other to work properly. Our cars are pretty sofisticated even if they are old Junkers. And yes I understand that the vats are different but all you really need is to disable it.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

No **** BCM controls Anti-theft, retained accessory power, warning system, keyless entry, and keyless trunk release. You said the pcm "needs" the BCM to work. My car dose not have a BCM, EBCM, ABS, or SDM and my PCM still works like it should. I wasn't telling him he should ditch his BCM, I was trying to tell you that a PCM does not need a BCM to "work" as long as you disable the VATS from the PCM.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 07-31-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

See first read what you write before you replay to my quote. It seems like your still in school learning about basic electrical and modules, BTW it's "PCM" (Powertrain Control Module) not "PMC". And we are not talking about other newer cars here we are talking about our old junkers as you call them.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Bcm also controls other things not just the vats system. And yes a lot of vehicles now a days have computers that communicate with each other to work properly. Our cars are pretty sofisticated even if they are old Junkers. And yes I understand that the vats are different but all you really need is to disable it.
And "VATS" are not different on our cars. The BCM just looks for a programed resistance value located on key before it grounds the starter relay coil and send the fuel enable signal to the PCM. "VATS" Is a system which includes Starter relay, BCM, PCM, and your ignition key.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So Today I re solder my bcm thinking it would fix the problem, it didnt. My bcm turns off for a mini sec making the lights on my dash blink for a few seconds, and then the air bag light stays flashing on for a couple secs. My car is not responding the same way it use to. when I have it on drive, 1st gear seems a bit long, jumps hard into 2nd, smooth onto 3rd and fourth. When I press the pedal all the way, theres no responce, or kick.
I know I will need to buy a new bcm. any of you know where I can get a killer deal?

Im getting my transmisison checked out on tuesday.

My question is... what type of reactions have you had from your car when the transmission starts going out.
Make sure its not overpressurizing the lines in the trans. I had a bad ecu that had been damaged by leaking battery acid (common problems on C5s with the og battery). The bad ecu was causing the trans to shift hard and the trans fliud was seeing almost 300psi. I broke 2 input drums before finding the issue. I replaced the ecu and the problem dissappeared.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C5natie
Make sure its not overpressurizing the lines in the trans. I had a bad ecu that had been damaged by leaking battery acid (common problems on C5s with the og battery). The bad ecu was causing the trans to shift hard and the trans fliud was seeing almost 300psi. I broke 2 input drums before finding the issue. I replaced the ecu and the problem dissappeared.
Oil pressure goes all the way up when I step on the gas, comes back down when I slow down.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pressure goes all the way up when I step on the gas, comes back down when I slow down.

I was reffereing to trans fluid pressure inside the trans. It will break hard parts if it goes to high and a faulty ecu can cause it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sorry for the confusion. Im gonna get it all checked out tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
You just cant swap out to any used BCM because the resistor value will be different. He has to get a unused BCM and program it with his key to work. or he can just bypass the VATS from his pcm and use any bcm he wants. AND technically the computers don't "need" each other they are just networked to each other to process outputs through their inputs. You don't need a BCM for the car to run if you tell it that the BCM is not longer there (VATS Disable).
Anyone know where I can get my VATS disabled?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Can you bypass it like you can LTs? Hit up George Lara Ref he should be able to for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
See first read what you write before you replay to my quote. It seems like your still in school learning about basic electrical and modules, BTW it's "PCM" (Powertrain Control Module) not "PMC". And we are not talking about other newer cars here we are talking about our old junkers as you call them.
Looks like your a little hurt. I know it's PCM. Just a typo! And no I'm not in school for this. This was back in 09 . And I was just saying in general, that now a days lots of cars work like that. I don't study the Fbody much since it's not what I work with. Thanks for the info btw.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Find someone with HP tuners and a credit to disable it.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like your a little hurt. I know it's PCM. Just a typo! And no I'm not in school for this. This was back in 09 . And I was just saying in general, that now a days lots of cars work like that. I don't study the Fbody much since it's not what I work with. Thanks for the info btw.
It's cool i'm not hurt, your just trying to correct me for something you said. Let me guess you must of gone to UTI. I guess you must of been sick or skipped the transmission section

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...lp-me-out.html

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 08-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: People who had transmission problems. Come in.