General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is my a/c compressor done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is my a/c compressor done?

Ok. Just finished an LQ4 swap in the Camaro and got around to recharging the system. New drier, orface tube. Vacuumed system to 30"'s and it held just fine. Put two 12oz cans in and it was running just fine. Had just over 20psi low side and 200psi high side and air was really cold. This was in my shop, so I rolled it out into the sun to make sure it would keep the cabin cool in the 100 degree heat. All goes well..... But I couldn't keep well enoug alone. 20/200psi seemed a little low, so I tried adding some more against better judgement. As I was adding another can psi started to drop on the high side to 125 and increased on the low side to about 60. And, air gets warm. I stop and realized I probably overfilled it. I tried releasing the system some but no change.

So today I try evacuating the system again. Orface tube is clean and tubes are free of debre. Connect it all and pull vacuum. Vacuum is good and holds. Start charging again and system only takes half a can. Low side is at 40psi and high side is at 125psi. After 10 min it's still not taking anymore 134a.

I'm figuring the seals/valves internally on the compressor went when I over charged it. Opinions?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely, most axial compressors use reed valves they may be done.
Need to make sure it didn't send debris into your condenser. <A/C flush
Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
Likely, most axial compressors use reed valves they may be done.
Need to make sure it didn't send debris into your condenser. <A/C flush
Yup, I'll flush it when I get a new compressor. Basically figured compressor was done. I cracked my housing on my original compressor a couple years ago and bought this one used. Been running strong for a year and a half though.