Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some guesses at this clunking sound while stationary.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need some guesses at this clunking sound while stationary.

Here's the parts list:
Mcleod rst single disc, circa 2003. I beleive it's a 100 series disc, not 100% on that. Mcleod master cylinder adjusted properly. Fidanza flywheel. 6-speed Inc built trans circa 2006. Everything has been fine with the setup for the past 4 years or so. No issues at all, knock on wood, until yesterday.

So yesterday I was driving and got on it kindof hard in second, and when I went to shift into third, it was like I didn't push in the clutch all the way. I was running to a store quickly, so when I got out, I pushed in the clutch, started the car, and it didn't want to go into first, so I pulled it into second then back into first and got a little clunk, and I started to drive away. The entire ride home, upshifting wasn't bad at all, but downshifting required me to rev-match the shift, so I supsect the clutch setup wasn't disengaging.

So when I got home, I shut off the car and lowered the lift to put the car on it in case I needed to work on it. When I went to start the car, I couldn't put it in first or any gear because it was acting like the clutch wasn't disengaging. So I shut off the car, tried the shifter in each gear and the trans now shifted fine and went into every gear fine. I've had trans problems in the past and this doesn't feel like a trans problem, it's definitely a clutch problem.

So I put it in first, parking break on, and start the car, and I get this weird clunk sound/vibration every 3-5 seconds and the car wants to move. So there is definitely something that's not disengaging.

So hopefully today I'll be able to drop the transmission and see what going on. I'm thinking either I had a bolt back out, or maybe I broke a spring on the clutch disc or it could be that the throwout bearing **** the bed.

Who knows, but I'll hopefully see exactly what it is when I drop the trans.

Opinions?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Also, does anyone know where to pick up the plug that goes into the back of the transmission when you remove the driveshaft so that you don't spill trans fluid all over the floor?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Also, does anyone know where to pick up the plug that goes into the back of the transmission when you remove the driveshaft so that you don't spill trans fluid all over the floor?
I got one from Harbor Freight, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Jegs has them as well
Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I used a cap off a bottle of Gatorade and it fit perfect. A little duct tape to hold it on just in case and I'm good to go. Trans should be out in another half hour or so of working, and then I can figure out wtf happened.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, just as I suspected, I snapped one of the center hub springs off the clutch disc.