Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushing through the converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushing through the converter

2002 z28. Installed a 3000 fti. Car has a slp lid, long tubes, ory, and the rest of the exhaust. 2.73s as far as I know. I over filled the transmission after install. It started leaking through the bellhousing were it meets the motor. Well I thought I blew the converter seal considering 3 weeks later it is still leaking when I drive. If the car is off, it will not leak. The fluid level on the dipstick never changes though?

Regardless. On motor the car shifts 100% great. When fluid level was too high it shifted like slop.

I went to the 8th mile last night on a 70 shot. The 1st run on spray it hit the bounced off the limiter and didn't want to shift into 3rd. I coasted to a 7.9 at 89. 2nd run near the traps it felt like it was about to the do the same.

This is my 3rd run. We lowered shift mph from 76- 66 or 67mph, pulled 2 degrees from 4000-7000rpms and left line pressure alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKW-hrduNng

On the 2-3 shift you can hear it pushing through the converter pretty good. Trans bell still leaks trans fluid, but my fluid level is perfect when I checked it this morning so idk if there is a corrilation there. I did NOT get a tune after the stall install. Just logged it at the track to see what was happening.

I wish it wouldn't have done this. I feel if timing and shift bs was left alone I could have had a 7.70. It use to trap 91 mph before the stall with me hitting the kit past the 60ft.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Launching!

worry more about the fluid getting on the track than rubber getting on the paint would you please...
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would anyone with a brain like to respond? It doesn't leak enough to even touch the ground at wot.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Odds are that you are not pushing through the converter. Plain and simple if the only symptom you have is a flare shift at the 2/3 and not the 1/2 upshift then it is related to worn 3/4 clutches. All the tuning and all the fluid changes are not going to help alleviate the condition.

In my experience an overfull transmission will not be symptomatic. Never seen that before and I have worked on everything from a 3,000+ h/p Outlaw 10.5 car to currently tuning a 4.70 index Top Sportsman car and a Pro Mod truck with a 782 cid monster on 4 systems with a Powerglide that runs bottom 4.xx's at over 180 mph 1/8 mile. Every automatic I have been associated with in the last 25 years will simply set it's level if it is overfull.

If you put fresh fluid in it recently, along with a converter change then chances are you have simply exaggerated an existing symptom that was hidden by old fluid and a weaker converter.

Quick Reply: Pushing through the converter