Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference between Bilstein HD shocks and Bilstein SLP shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Difference between Bilstein HD shocks and Bilstein SLP shocks

so i am looking to upgrade my shocks from the stock ones to bilstein shocks. i am keeping my stock springs, and run UMI 35mm front swaybar, stock rear. Now my question is, what is the difference between the Bilstein HD Shocks and the SLP Bilstein Shocks. here is a link to both of them

Bilstein SLP Shocks
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...shock-package/

Bilstein HD Shock
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...age-set-of-4-/

the price is right around the same, i was just wondering if there is a difference, and if not then why do they have 2 packages?

my T/A is used on the street 90% of the time, and maybe sees some track time (both Auto X and drag strip) like 2-3 times a year in the summer. i have been avoiding the drag strip lately after my heads and cam upgrade, due to i still have the glass 10-bolt and afraid i will rip it to shreds. thanks guys

Last edited by trans_am7935; 07-31-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering this myself. Might check with Strano, I'm sure he knows.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Sam's said the SLP have the same valving as the HDs, he can just sell the SLPs a little cheaper. Sort of reversed at the WS6 Store, though.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
I think Sam's said the SLP have the same valving as the HDs, he can just sell the SLPs a little cheaper. Sort of reversed at the WS6 Store, though.
i was thinking the same thing, the HD's are about 30 bucks cheaper at the WS6 store then from Strano. his website also says that the HD package requires re-use of stock parts. like boot sleeves and isolators. is this the same on the SLP package?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
i was thinking the same thing, the HD's are about 30 bucks cheaper at the WS6 store then from Strano. his website also says that the HD package requires re-use of stock parts. like boot sleeves and isolators. is this the same on the SLP package?
Yep, the SLPs come as bare shocks, although the rears do have dust boots. You have to reuse all the stock front parts except the shock itself (or, more than likely, buy mostly new parts for the front, because the stock ones will be rusty and falling apart).
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...light=bilstein

If you look in here Sam pretty much says that they are the same now. They used to be valved differently but that is not the case anymore.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if i pick up the Bilstein Shocks from the WS6 store for $367 (great price!), shipped for 20 bucks, then i am getting a hell of a deal?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much, the difference is so minute that it may not even exist anymore. Either Sam or John are great guys to work with.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
so i am looking to upgrade my shocks from the stock ones to bilstein shocks. i am keeping my stock springs...
Just curious 'OP, as I might do the same as you-why are you keeping the stock springs? I saw the package with the shocks and springs but I'm not keen on the idea of lowering the car. Is that why you're sticking with stock springs?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd like to point out that I'm cheaper than they are on SLP Bilstein's.... And I'm here, on this site trying to help keep folks apprised of what's happening. Not everyone else is. Ther have been numerous valving changes over the last 5-7 years on these shocks.

I try to make it a point to be active on these forums, but it's tough to just tell everyone what I know because then I run into folks wanting to use that information elsewhere. I get it, but it's not much fun when I do the leg work and others get to pay their bills from it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SLP Bilstein has less compression damping and more
rebound damping in the front, the rears are identical.

Quick Reply: Difference between Bilstein HD shocks and Bilstein SLP shocks