Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arms (adustable vs non adjustable)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arms (adustable vs non adjustable)

hey guys i need yalls help im looking for a new torque arm. the stock one i have on cracked on the rear mount. im lookin for a new one. i know bmr, umi, make some good ones . but i am not wanting to have to weld one on. i looking for one for steet use more than track, it is my daily driver. i need somthing under 500 im only pushing out a max of 375. and i would like to know the differance between adjustable and non adjustable and what it's for?

another question is had anyone busted a drive shaft because of the brake line mounts rubbing ... because that is my situation and how i discovered the bad torque arm
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Spohn Chassis (rather than Transmission) Mounted Adjustable T/A. I think it cost me a little over $400 from Speed Engineering a few years ago. I've only had my car down the 1/4 mile a couple times, but being able to set the Pinion Angle at -2* seemed to help with traction.

My only complaint is the Spherical Rod-End Bushing that mounts the front of the Torque Arm to the Underbody Brace makes some noise. But really its nothing that I can't live with.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

For a daily driven car like yours I would recommend a standard length torque arm, which is a torque arm that bolts in the same place as factory. The standard length arms are street friendly and don't offer any extra noise to the vehicle.

The adjustable version will allow you to change or set pinion angle. This is usually required on a lowered vehicle but isn't 100% necessary. If you are not familiar with drive line angle then the non-adj. might be the best item for you.

I posted links below to both our adjustable and non-adjustable torque arms. These are both bolt in set ups and include a new torque arm bushing.

www.umiperformance.com/2205

www.umiperformance.com/2206

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

For a daily driven car like yours I would recommend a standard length torque arm, which is a torque arm that bolts in the same place as factory. The standard length arms are street friendly and don't offer any extra noise to the vehicle.

The adjustable version will allow you to change or set pinion angle. This is usually required on a lowered vehicle but isn't 100% necessary. If you are not familiar with drive line angle then the non-adj. might be the best item for you.

I posted links below to both our adjustable and non-adjustable torque arms. These are both bolt in set ups and include a new torque arm bushing.

www.umiperformance.com/2205

www.umiperformance.com/2206

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

THANKS! i appriciate it!! but i just realised the previous owner put on some eibach lowering springs, do you suggest i get the adjustable. and will they be strong enough for track use here and there ?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I have a UMI adj torque arm and I love it. It's a very strong beefy part and their customer service is the best I've delt with. If your car is lower an adj torque arm is a good idea to make sure your pinion angle is where it should be
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the non adjustable UMI TA, and i love it. 10 times better then stock, and no noise at all. i am going to be stepping up to a transmission crossmember relocation kit, it relocates the TA off the trans amd on to the crossmember, you may also adjust pinion angle from there, even with a solid TA
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Alex2210
THANKS! i appriciate it!! but i just realised the previous owner put on some eibach lowering springs, do you suggest i get the adjustable. and will they be strong enough for track use here and there ?
Glad to help!

Since the vehicle is lowered and if funds allow I would recommend the adjustable torque arm for sure. This item will allow you to correct the driveline angle that has most likely changed since the car has lowered. With out correcting this you still may experience a loss in traction. So I would highly recommend the adjustable.

Track abuse will be no problem I do recommend the longer and new bolt kit as well, part #3003.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

How is UMI's TA clearance with true duals? Same as any other arm?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
How is UMI's TA clearance with true duals? Same as any other arm?
It would depend on what true dual system you have. But we built the arm around the TSP duals and our torque arm offers 1" more clearance than the factory arm. This allows the system to be tucked up a little tighter. I posted a picture below to reference:

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a sexy underside you got there!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
that is a sexy underside you got there!
Thank you

Its Jerry's old car (our tech) he would wax the underneath. More pictures can be seen here- 2002 Camaro SS
Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

^^ thanks for the pic!! I'll be getting your non adjustable torque arm soon here (the quick performance 9" has an adjustable TA mount), have lots of your parts already and have been more than pleased!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a spohn tunnel mount tarm and i like it but it is a bit noisey at times but i also have rod ends on everything though.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

^^ thanks for the pic!! I'll be getting your non adjustable torque arm soon here (the quick performance 9" has an adjustable TA mount), have lots of your parts already and have been more than pleased!!

Glad to help and great to hear! With any aftermarket rear end I always recommend the adjustable torque arm, I don't know if our non-adjustable will fit right on that rear end. Plus this will allow your pinion angle to be set with the new rear end.

I hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Glad to help and great to hear! With any aftermarket rear end I always recommend the adjustable torque arm, I don't know if our non-adjustable will fit right on that rear end. Plus this will allow your pinion angle to be set with the new rear end.

I hope that helps!
Ryan
http://www.quickperformance.com/Products/housings.htm

This is the rear i'm getting (the only red one there). See the way the TA mount is mounted to the housing? Because of that you can't run an adjustable. five7kid on thirdgen.org had an adjustable TA on it, and the rod ends on the TA and the ones on the rear end want to swivel...he busted the TA because of that.

I'm making my own Xmember, and the pinion angle will be adjustable from that.

BTW...call Byun up and tell him to look at the pricing of your non adj vs the adj TA...................................
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

http://www.quickperformance.com/Products/housings.htm

This is the rear i'm getting (the only red one there). See the way the TA mount is mounted to the housing? Because of that you can't run an adjustable. five7kid on thirdgen.org had an adjustable TA on it, and the rod ends on the TA and the ones on the rear end want to swivel...he busted the TA because of that.

I'm making my own Xmember, and the pinion angle will be adjustable from that.

BTW...call Byun up and tell him to look at the pricing of your non adj vs the adj TA...................................
Thanks for the information.

Our adjustable torque arms use rod eyes and not rod ends, they are solid and offer no movement. The rod ends have a solid hole and no bearing like a rod end. So you really shouldn't have any issues. Our non-adjustable torque arm offers less clearance than the adjustable where it mounts to the rear end so I can't guarantee it will fit with that rear end, it doesn't fit the Moser 9". That is another reason we recommend the adjustable unit.

I hope that helps!
Ryan

Quick Reply: torque arms (adustable vs non adjustable)