Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a4 to m6 wireing

Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 to m6 wireing

When doing the wiring portion of the swap will the a4 harness plugs work in the m6 plug holes? And I read its only 6 wires is that it? And how do I go about. Wiring it up? The instructions on here seem easy but where and what am I actually splicing?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a flat black connector that attached to your a4 shift handle assembly. It had 6 wires in it. Those six wires are the orange, l. green, dark green, purple, black, and I believe brown. They are from the internal harness, not the big round thing that hooked to your transmission.

From the external harness you are just extending the length of the VSS plug. Other than that you can do the reverse lockout by either running it to the PCM or a lot simpler to run one wire to the blue wire on your brake pedal switch and the other wire to a ground. I used the plate that the air bag sensor sat on as something else was grounded there anyway.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Ok I herd there was somthing to unclip under the dash for somthing? Neutral safety switch or somthing Idk maybe I herd wrong. But those wires are where the connection to the old auto shifter just splice them together and which one is the vss and what is that anyway?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

you have alot to learn young grass hopper.
hate to tell you to read or do a search but it will really help you. i, and many others have compiled information for the swap here::

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...uested-30.html

know its alot to read but it will be well worth it. hope this helps
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Awesome thanks. I've looked before and and printed out instructions off of here but they were vague
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Im still confused the wires that get spliced are the hatch release orange/blk and black..hatch release
purple/white and dark green for the clutch but how does it connect to the back of the clutch?
light green and brown into a pig tail then where does that go? Plugs into the tranny?? Im lost? What about the reverse lockout? These instructions are whack and doesn't explain how to do it if anyone can help pm me please
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On page three of the link that was given is a guy (M3Eater) who has a LOT of pictures of his install.

To break it down a bit:

The orange/black and black wires just get connected together. Cut them, use a simple j-hook splice, solder, and wrap.

The purple/white and dark green wires need to be extended long enough to reach your clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is a black switch. It was a square looking thing that had a button on it that gets pressed in when the clutch is pushed down. You can get simple electrical connectors from pretty much anywhere that sells hobby electrical tools (Wal-Mart is where I got mine, any auto store will have them too), attach them to the ends of the wires you extended and plug one in the top and the other in the bottom.

The light green and brown get connected to the pigtail for your reverse lights. This is plugged into a pigtail on the passenger side about near the center of the transmission. You will need to use some auto wire to elongate this so it'll reach, then splice, solder, and wrap.

The VSS wires need to be elongated enough to go over the transmission from from the passenger side on the exterior harness and get plugged into the downward facing plug underneath the reverse lockout solenoid.

There are two ways to wire in the reverse lockout. One requires you to locate the unused pin on your PCM and use that. The other has you ground one wire off the pigtail to the chassis and run another wire to the light blue wire on your brake pedal switch. This is what I did. This makes it so you must depress the brake pedal to go into reverse. WARNING: Be very careful when braking in sixth gear then trying to go into 5th with your foot on the brake. You can seriously destroy your engine, tranny, and a lot of other things.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

For the reverse lockout what pig tail are you talking about? Where do I find it? I understand the other stuff for the most part. How do I bleed the clutch? Is there an easy way? And does the new pedal assembly mount in the same holes as the auto pedals? Or do I need to drill new holes?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt worry about reverse lockout it really dont need hooked up.. (pretty hard to get in reverse from 4th) 3/8 swivel ratchet with a 6 point 7\16 d w socket for clutch bleeding or tick speed bleeder, only hole you need to drill is for your clutchrod off mc..
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks buddy ill text you later
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hows swap going?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a4 to m6 wireing