Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fbody Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fbody Steering Wheel Swap

So I'm sure that I'm not the only one who dosn't particularly care for the look of the camaro steering wheels. Been thinking about swapping for a more visually appealing one.

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have switched to another GM steering wheel? Maybe one from a vette?
And if so, are you still able to use and you're horn and airbag?

Pics?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

This has been covered a lot. People have successfully swapped one from a same time frame grand prix (which looks worse IMO) but the real problem with other wheels is the airbags. Corvette wheels and other GM models use multi stage airbags and different interfaces. If you want to forgo your airbag, Grant makes a lot of good steering wheels.

These thread discusses it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ing-wheel.html

And this is a writeup how to swap wheels:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l-install.html
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In addition to this post ^ you can bolt-in a newer Camaro style wheel and airbag, like the ones used in 98-02 Firebirds/Trans Ams.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rbaksi
This has been covered a lot. People have successfully swapped one from a same time frame grand prix (which looks worse IMO) but the real problem with other wheels is the airbags. Corvette wheels and other GM models use multi stage airbags and different interfaces. If you want to forgo your airbag, Grant makes a lot of good steering wheels.

These thread discusses it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ing-wheel.html

And this is a writeup how to swap wheels:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l-install.html
Thanks for the info and links. I saw some sweet steering wheels today and that got me thinking about a new steering wheel, but I still drive the car alot in traffic (working on finding a good dd) so I wanted to keep the airbag, at least for now. I guess I will look more into what is a single stage airbag that will plug into my harness.

Originally Posted by ZexGX
In addition to this post ^ you can bolt-in a newer Camaro style wheel and airbag, like the ones used in 98-02 Firebirds/Trans Ams.
Definitely, I've always liked the T/a wheels better than the camaros. I just dont want any radio control buttons on my steering wheel that are useless. But its still an option
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
Definitely, I've always liked the T/a wheels better than the camaros. I just dont want any radio control buttons on my steering wheel that are useless. But its still an option
You can find V6/1LE steering wheels from 97-99 (I think.. for color match to 98 charcoal) V6/1LE Firebirds that have airbags but no leather or radio controls. They are lighter weight and simpler looking, but I prefer the heavier leather wheel with controls due to weight balance and the leather feel.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Launching!

I'll look into that. Was kinda hoping to get something more modern, but it sounds like the airbag difference wont work with the newer ones. Maybe I'll just get an aftermarket one from somewhere. I've liked the look of alot of them I've seen on here
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6le is working on a steering wheel for us that uses a zl1 wheel i believe and the airbags will still work...
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really like the momo competition , for 200 bucks i think it looks great ,and would feel a world apart from the stock fire truck wheel
Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
6le is working on a steering wheel for us that uses a zl1 wheel i believe and the airbags will still work...
I hope that's true and comes to fruition.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You could always swap in a 95-99 Monte Carlo wheel. It is the exact wheel as th 00-02 Camaro wheels, looks just like the TA wheel, bu it has a thicker rim and there were ones with radio controls and ones without. Plus it is pure black(not ebony) like your stock steering wheel. Radio controls are black and light white.

If you would like the radio controls to work, it is possible and someone HAS done this on a 99-prior car. Youll have to search for the thread, I read it sometime erlier this year. The guy had pics as well.

While that wheel does look a little better than the 93-99 style, it seems bigger in diameter. Ive never measured though. The wheel in my 2000 seems more appropriately sized for school bus. Thats really true though of all GM wheels though except the newest 2012 designs
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

A zl1 wheel would be really sweet. But if I'm putting one in that wont be compatible for airbags, I will proably just get an aftermarket one.

lt4vert, Thanks for the Info. Not a bad looking steering wheel, and its nice u can find them with or without radio controlls. But being bigger diamater is a big turn off
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

But being bigger diamater is a big turn off
Do verify that though. Like I said it jus "seemed" bigger to me. It very well may be a illusion because the airbag cover is bigger.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A zl1 wheel would be really sweet. But if I'm putting one in that wont be compatible for airbags, I will proably just get an aftermarket one.

lt4vert, Thanks for the Info. Not a bad looking steering wheel, and its nice u can find them with or without radio controlls. But being bigger diamater is a big turn off
thats the thing.. hes working on making it compatible with the airbag
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Nice. And where can this be found?

Quick Reply: Fbody Steering Wheel Swap