Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

which rs grille kit should i buy? 67 or 68

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which rs grille kit should i buy? 67 or 68

So, i have a 68 standard camaro and im going to change to the rally sport grille, but i wanna know if i should run a 67 rs kit or run a 68 rs kit with the detroit speed and engineering electric motor kit. what are the pros and cons of each? let me know thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is there a rs kit without the relays
Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

No experience with either, but if it was me.... electric
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

68 RS grille differs from the 67 in that it has chrome running along the horizontal surfaces. other than that they will interchange. You'll need to change the lower valance as the parking lights move to there from the grill.

Other items: Hood latch is entirely different, horn mounts on the vertical strut, if elec then relays need a home (67 mounts them on the left fender out of site), you need to pierce the firewall for the wiring, fenders are different but they make tab extensions for that.

There is more but those are the big things. Still wanna tackle the change?

FWIW, I've had 6 67's and 5 of those had the RS option.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z-Convert
68 RS grille differs from the 67 in that it has chrome running along the horizontal surfaces. other than that they will interchange. You'll need to change the lower valance as the parking lights move to there from the grill.

Other items: Hood latch is entirely different, horn mounts on the vertical strut, if elec then relays need a home (67 mounts them on the left fender out of site), you need to pierce the firewall for the wiring, fenders are different but they make tab extensions for that.

There is more but those are the big things. Still wanna tackle the change?

FWIW, I've had 6 67's and 5 of those had the RS option.
Im going to buy the complete kit. And i wanted to know more of the mechanical side.... i know 67 are electric and 68 are vaccume... And i wanna run electric bc my ls2 has a 608 lift cam. But detroit speed offers a electric motor kit for the 68 set up... im wondering if that set up runs with out the complicated relays of 67 in which they had 3 i believe... also are the 67 rs reproduction motors reliable? i know the rs set up have issues working but i figured that would be 68-69 bc they were vaccume setups.. let me know thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

I know of them but I know nothing about the aftermarket setups. All of my knowledge is of the factory setup. The factory used 6 relays mounted on a plate that mounts on the fender lip on the inside facing towards the outside. It also uses 4 limit switches to tell the relays when the doors are open and when they are closed.

They do make reproduction motors for the 67. They are not correct in appearance but they function the same.

Quick Reply: which rs grille kit should i buy? 67 or 68