Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K Member Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K Member Install

Im getting ready to finally install my UMI K member in my TA tomorrow. I have the BMR install guide to follow, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or areas to watch out for when installing one of these. I will be doing it on jack stands as well, not lucky enough to have a lift yet. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its pretty straight forward. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Give us a call and speak with Jerry if you need any help.

The install is pretty straight forward like mentioned. If you get to a frustrating point step back for a little, have a beer and come back. No matter what you do these things always fight a little... especially on the ground. The motor mount bolts are tough to get lined up, so don't force them with a hammer or it could bend the mount on the K-member. I think Jerry likes to line up the motor mount bolts first then the 6 bolts in the frame.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reassurance. Ryan, I was actually thinking of doing that very trick because motor mounts and I dont have a very good relationship. Glad to know that I was on the right track with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I bolted the motor to the kmember and then bolted the kmember to the car. It worked out well for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My motor was out of the car, I installed solid mounts to the block finger tightened, installed the k member to the lower mm stands, finger tightened. Then I kinda did a crossing pattern back and forth on all the bolts till the k member and the motor mounts where tight.

I used moving dolly with four wheels to position the motor under the car. Then with two jacks, I slowly lowered the car to meet the motor and K member. I used a PA racing k member and when I say I mated the car with the frame it dropped right in the alignment pins and I bolted it stright up no issues.

Make sure you got the new bolts, I needed to get shorter one m12x 1.25 30mm long I do belive.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Came up with a new question, is it easier to have both the front and rear of the car on jack stands when doing this? I have plenty of room with just the front up, but Im wondering if the motor will shift back once the stock one is out because of the front being up so high.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I had just the front off the ground, the higher the better.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Almost got the stock piece out. I am stuck on the rear most bolts on the lower A arms. I have the nuts off, but the bolts themselves will not move at all. Ive read a lot of people had to cut them off. Are there any other tricks to try and get them out before I have to resort to the sawzall?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

get a dremel with a right angle attachment an cutting wheel used for metal...had to get one when i started running into rusted bolts...great tool...looking around $60 for everything...keep your progress posted for those of us that haven't done this yet...

some helpful hints already in this thread...thanks

Quick Reply: K Member Install