Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM antenna..........splice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XM antenna..........splice?

One of my wires broke about 1ft from the connector, is their anyway to splice the coaxail cable?

ITs a turk antenna 2wire for a pioneer system/

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, you cant splice antenna wires
Old 03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You might be able to. There is a wire in the center and a metallic shielding. Reattach the metallic shielding and reattach the center wire and it should work. Just don't let them cross. That could cause damage. This is assuming that its a coaxial design. If not, then i dunno.

--VIP1
Old 03-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sure you can splice the antenna wires - I did that to replace the cheap colored plastic connector with a proper molded one on my Delphi XM micro-antenna. The best way is not to even try to put a splice in the middle of the line and tape it up. Instead, get yourself a solder-type plug and socket set that is designed to work with coaxial cable (1/8" mono mini plug works well). Solder the plug to one end of the broken cable and the socket to the other then just plug them together. The connectors are designed to have the center conductor soldered to the pin tip and the shielding to the pin shaft. They're available from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Launching!

you can on a car. you wont get much interferance. if it was stucc like cctv or a coaxial transmitting cable then nope...
Old 03-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Generally, any kind of coax used for a receiving antenna can be cut and spliced. For some types you must be very careful that the outer shielding is spliced so that it still provides complete coverage to prevent interference. This is not true of transmitting antenna cables which can have very narrow attenuation specs and must not be modified. Even a lowly CB antenna cable can cause serious problems if shortened too much.

Quick Reply: XM antenna..........splice?