Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?

I recently purchased a higher milage 99 SS M6 and am going through the suspension and drive train components before I start adding power. I want to lower the car, but I have heard that it isn't a good idea to lower a car with an aftermarket rear due to clearance reasons. Is this true? I want to put a set of strano springs on the car with a set of bilsteins when I rebuild the front end/replace the rear end, so that I only have to have it aligned once.

I also plan to upgrade the torque arm as well. From what I have read, it is best to use a long torque arm with a relocation crossmember to move the torque arm off the trans. I know the tunnel mounted setups transmit a significant amount of vibration into the car, and since I drive this daily (80 miles/day), I do not want excessive vibration.

I have already added subframe connectors, double adjustable lower control arms with poly bushings, and an adjustable on car panhard bar with poly bushings, and I don't have any issues with vibration so far.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I recently purchased a higher milage 99 SS M6 and am going through the suspension and drive train components before I start adding power. I want to lower the car, but I have heard that it isn't a good idea to lower a car with an aftermarket rear due to clearance reasons. Is this true? I want to put a set of strano springs on the car with a set of bilsteins when I rebuild the front end/replace the rear end, so that I only have to have it aligned once.

I also plan to upgrade the torque arm as well. From what I have read, it is best to use a long torque arm with a relocation crossmember to move the torque arm off the trans. I know the tunnel mounted setups transmit a significant amount of vibration into the car, and since I drive this daily (80 miles/day), I do not want excessive vibration.

I have already added subframe connectors, double adjustable lower control arms with poly bushings, and an adjustable on car panhard bar with poly bushings, and I don't have any issues with vibration so far.
You should have absloutely no issue lowering your car with an S60. The real big issue with clearance and lowering the car is going to be between the torque arm and the tunnel of the car. Since the S60 has such big gears/internals they kind of cheat the torque arm mount to the driver's side of the car but we fix this by having to sets of mounting holes on our torque arms to mount them. You will have to trim the torque arm mounting bracket up a little to get everything all lined up but you would have to do that with any torque arm and I have the diagram which makes it super easy.

Since you are going to daily drive the car you want to definitely stick to the full length adjkustable torque arm along with torque arm relocation crossmember. This will give you the best driveablility but will also help out the performance of the car, we have had guys run deep into the single digits 1/4 mile-wise using this setup.

If you are interested in pricing out som BMR parts shoot me a PM or give me a call here at the shop. I attached a few pics of our BMR full legnth adjustable torque arm and BMR torque relocation crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?-ta001h.jpg   lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?-tcc006h.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you please define "trim"
there is a schematic showing this upon purchase?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
can you please define "trim"
there is a schematic showing this upon purchase?
Here is a schematic and I can have them cut before it goes to powdercoating if you guys buy the torque arms directly through us.
Attached Thumbnails lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?-dana60mod.jpg  

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BMR, Thanks for the info. PM sent
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
BMR, Thanks for the info. PM sent
Check your inbox.

Quick Reply: lowering with S60? torque arm for street car?