Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 questions?

I'm going to look at a 2007 C6 Coupe tomorrow. Black/Black 6spd w/ 34k miles for about $31k. Hopefully if all goes well, this will be my first Vette. Obviously, I'll be doing a carfax and a long road test including some highway driving. It's a private seller, so hopefully he will have some service records available as well.

Is there anything else I should look for besides the usual used car buying stuff? I saw a "C5 buyers guide" but could not find a similar thread for C6's.

Any suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't you get an LS3 for that much? I wouldn't spend that much on an LS2 Vette.

I'm pretty sure that in C6s they don't have the computer codes in the DIC... I'm not quite sure how you'd check the codes on a C6 for history and current, but I'd recommend doing it if you can. A lot of codes don't trigger the CEL and you may not know what you're getting yourself into.

Check CorvetteForum.com in the C6 section. I'm sure they have a sticky for what to look for when buying a used C6.

Again, I'd look for an LS3 car for that much money.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Couldn't you get an LS3 for that much? I wouldn't spend that much on an LS2 Vette.

I'm pretty sure that in C6s they don't have the computer codes in the DIC... I'm not quite sure how you'd check the codes on a C6 for history and current, but I'd recommend doing it if you can. A lot of codes don't trigger the CEL and you may not know what you're getting yourself into.

Check CorvetteForum.com in the C6 section. I'm sure they have a sticky for what to look for when buying a used C6.

Again, I'd look for an LS3 car for that much money.
Not up here, the cheapest I've found on an LS3 car is $38K. I'm pushing my budget as it is.

I've checked the the sticky's on Corvette Forum, but didn't really find any sort of buyers guide. I'll search around some more.

I'll pick up a code reader prior to checking it out, but I'm not sure it will read the history. Once I get the vin, I'll have a dealer run a service history.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a shame... I know cars are usually more expensive on the East coast. I don't know why, though. Here in SoCal cars are almost always 10-15% cheaper.

Yeah, I don't believe it will show you history with just a normal code scanner. That was one of the big benefits to the C5s. I guess GM didn't realize a lot of people would be their own backyard techs and fix things themselves. LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

That's a shame... I know cars are usually more expensive on the East coast. I don't know why, though. Here in SoCal cars are almost always 10-15% cheaper.

Yeah, I don't believe it will show you history with just a normal code scanner. That was one of the big benefits to the C5s. I guess GM didn't realize a lot of people would be their own backyard techs and fix things themselves. LOL
Everything is expensive up here in Mass, it's out of control.

After checking out the car, I think I'm gonna buy it. I didn't find anything wrong with it besides a few minor scratches here and there. It drove nice and felt pretty good.

Going to the bank in the morning, starting to get excited.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds great! Post pics ASAP!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in SoCal cars are almost always 10-15% cheaper.
I've noticed that myself. I think after college when I make the leap and reward myself with a Corvette, I purposely want to find one in CA so I can fly out there for a "mini vacation" and drive it back. I love California being that I'm born and raised in Iowa lol

Close to here I'd say a pristine LS3 C6 <45k is $32-$35k
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Just be sure to look for any signs of modifications that were once there but are now removed if ya can.
Scratching/denting/dinging around the heads and header bolts and timing chain cover, any signs of intake manifold removal or holes cut around the engine bay/firewall, excessive rubber caked up inside the wheel wells etc.

I agree that the LS3 would be a little more desirable but these LS2s can be made to run pretty damn hard as well.

Quick Reply: C6 questions?