Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pop from somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop from somewhere

Crossed railroad tracks going less than 2nph. Loud pop and clank sound. Ever since I can hear my car clanking. Checked basic suspension components without removing wheels. Nothing loose, busted etc. Only hear it at take off or while crossing rough road, bumps etc. HELP! Going to lower the car tomorrow, will update with any new info ASAP.

Thank the us military for the ability to shorten sentences and still make sense. Lmao
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stevend
Crossed railroad tracks going less than 2nph. Loud pop and clank sound. Ever since I can hear my car clanking. Checked basic suspension components without removing wheels. Nothing loose, busted etc. Only hear it at take off or while crossing rough road, bumps etc. HELP! Going to lower the car tomorrow, will update with any new info ASAP.

Thank the us military for the ability to shorten sentences and still make sense. Lmao
Do you hear the noise in the rear or the front of the car?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same issue, mine comes from the driver's side front only, when crossing railroads and going over bumps....
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one has any insight or starting point with this issue?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car stock suspension wise?

Seems like it would be difficult to break something going a whole 2mph.

I have a noise that I have been trying to figure out for a long time and still haven't got it figured out. Here are some ideas, although they are more for front pops not just something that would break from going over a railroad.

Ball joints can make a popping noise. How many miles are on the car?

If you had replaced the shocks, if the top nut isn't torqued down enough you can get a pop noise.

Check the sway bar end links. If they are poly it is possible to crack them, but pretty rare and more due to overtightening. If you have rubber make sure they aren't worn out.

Since you are lowering, when you get the wheel off double check the rest of the front suspension like the bushings for the control arms and the tie rods. Also floppy brake calipers can pop, and if your brake pad clips are screwed up you can get noise from pads moving around. Might as well check the hub / bearing, but I wouldn't think it would make the sound you are describing.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

If its in the rear i'd check the torque on the rear lower control arm bolts.

Quick Reply: Pop from somewhere