Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID Issue

Hey guys, I installed the ddm slim ballast 55 watt 6k kit in both my low beams and my fog lights in my 97 Z. For a while I realized that sometimes my driverside headlight wouldnt turn on, But most times it would. Recently it has always been out. What i dont get is that when i first turn the key, or turn the lights on, you will see it light up for a second but immediately turn back off. I checked all the plug ins and all seemed secure. If i have the lights on and unplug it and plug it back in it will do the same thing. Light up for a second then shut off. Any idea what causes this??
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, but for a 55w HID kit, I'm glad it's not working, because just one is enough to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Launching!

I didnt ask if I should have them on or not. If you didnt know, the lighting in 93-97 f-bodies is horrible. This is one of the only solutions for it. I have mine aimed down and they arent any worse than all the new cars with hid's in them.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Anybody have any ideas??
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo 55w is too high, I have the 35w kit 6000k from Xentecs and they are PERFECT. Other then that, the fact that you also have the fogs HIDs you will need a relay harness for the battery cause there's too much power going on that the factory harnesses can't handle all of it especially if you have 55w's. I don't have HID fogs just to avoid the relay harness but that's just me, so I just put Nokya artic white bulbs.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Imo 55w is too high, I have the 35w kit 6000k from Xentecs and they are PERFECT.
Yeah, I didnt know what to get. One of the members on here recommended the 55w kit from ddm so I just followed his advice. I think they look great, dont seem TOO bright.

Other then that, the fact that you also have the fogs HIDs you will need a relay harness for the battery cause there's too much power going on that the factory harnesses can't handle all of it especially if you have 55w's.
This is interesting. Do you think if i keep my fog lights off the head light will still work? Would i need just one relay to power the head lights or would I need a second one for the fogs? Any recommendations on which harness to get and where to get it?

Thanks for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya I was going to go w/ DDMs but just went w/ Xentecs cause they were cheaper but as for the relay harness, I'm new w/ all the HID talk but I believe its a relay harness per set but i think you just need one, get it w/ the fogs. I made a thread about HIDs and all the members were real helpful w/ the information needed about HIDs, here you go and good luck.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...te-w-pics.html
Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Here is where I got my HID kit from. A little pricier than the other ones, but well worth it. All the parts were in there so it was plug and play.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=170
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Ya I was going to go w/ DDMs but just went w/ Xentecs cause they were cheaper but as for the relay harness, I'm new w/ all the HID talk but I believe its a relay harness per set but i think you just need one, get it w/ the fogs. I made a thread about HIDs and all the members were real helpful w/ the information needed about HIDs, here you go and good luck.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...te-w-pics.html
Ok thanks for the info. I read the whole thread, quite interesting. Also, I know you said that i would just use one harness for the fogs, and thats what it said in your thread, but I am only having the issue with my headlights. My fogs work fine, one of my lowbeams wont light up. So shouldnt I use the relay on my lowbeams instead??
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ruthless909
Hmm . . .Not sure how this helps me

Last edited by derekstl; 08-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Launching!

So does anybody know if I need one or two relay harnesses?? I have two 55 watt kits. I am hoping to order them today. If its just one, I will figure out which one to put it on
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The harness is just so you don't put a strain on the factory wiring. I am running the 55w w/harness from DDM and have no issues. If I was going to get HID fogs also then I would run another harness for them. Cheap insurance IMO. You may only need a 35w for the fogs should work just fine.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

From DDM's site:
"Use the relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably.

Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad's and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 40A at 12vdc."

The reason you need the relay is because the HID ballast requires a very high initial current to light the bulbs, but the steady-state current once they are on is no higher than that of the OEM lamps. The relay allows 12V to come straight from the battery instead of through the small gauge wiring of the lighting harness.

Long story short, if you're running 55W in EITHER your low beams OR your fogs, you will need a relay harness for that kit. If you're running 55W on BOTH, you will need the relay harness for both, because otherwise your stock wiring will not be able to supply enough current to ignite the bulbs.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Ok thanks guys. I am gonna buy the DDM relay harness for both my fogs and low beams.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Post pics after your finished