Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Parking brake hit or miss.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parking brake hit or miss.

Hey guys,

I did some searching and found some good info but I want to know what you all think of this.

My parking brake seems to be hit or miss...I am not sure if it is extra cable slack or an adjustment that needs to be done to the damn parking drum brake but sometimes my parking brake pulls up tight and sometimes and it doesn't at all...It is very inconsistent.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its probably out of adjustment. A properly adjusted brake should only go to 3-5 clicks. If yours goes more, its out of whack.

Looking in to the crystal ball here - someone probably changed the rear rotors on the car and didn't know that the parking brakes need to be adjusted to the two parts. (The adjustment needs to happen with the brakes and rotors off the car. There are some threads here with the procedure.)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its probably out of adjustment. A properly adjusted brake should only go to 3-5 clicks. If yours goes more, its out of whack.

Looking in to the crystal ball here - someone probably changed the rear rotors on the car and didn't know that the parking brakes need to be adjusted to the two parts. (The adjustment needs to happen with the brakes and rotors off the car. There are some threads here with the procedure.)
I agree. However i'd guess it was probably someone who in fact DID adjust the parking brake, all the way in. Because if the parking brake was working correctly before there would be no way to fit a new rotor (with smaller diameter drum) over the parking brake shoes without adjusting it somewhat.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Some rotors are larger. Some are smaller. If the bore is just a bit larger, you can get it over.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
Some rotors are larger. Some are smaller. If the bore is just a bit larger, you can get it over.
the parking brake drum has a spec, nominal/max/discard at. I have yet to see a new rear rotor on any car that has a larger parking brake drum than an older rotor that is coming off. Then again i am young, i have yet to see alot of things.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by spy2520
the parking brake drum has a spec, nominal/max/discard at. I have yet to see a new rear rotor on any car that has a larger parking brake drum than an older rotor that is coming off. Then again i am young, i have yet to see alot of things.
Right - the margin of error on that spec and the relatively small increments the parking brake pads move is such that this happens a lot. If you do a search, there are tons of threads for people who have run in to this condition. Also, if someone has worn their pads a little bit, this effect is magnified.

Quick Reply: Parking brake hit or miss.