Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

I did a search on this, and never really came up with a definite answer. I ordered a air fuel ratio gauge, but it won't be in for a couple of days and I wanted to get started on the wiring. From what I gathered I think I have to splice into the purple wire on one of the 02 sensor leads - (correct?). Do I Just splice into one or the other, or both?? Also for anyone who has done this on an F Body where is a good place to route the wire into the interior?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your on the right track. As for getting a head start, there really isn't anything you can do except drill your hole in the firewall IF you do not want to run the wires all the way over the the passenger side just to go through an existing hole. I drilled my hole right below the steering column and tie wrapped the wires to the colum. This turned out to be the perfect spot because its right by the 02 sensor. As for splicing, I recommend that you use a razor and cut back the insulation on the 02 wire and wrap the gauge wire around tight then tape. Do not cut the 02 wire because you will add resistance to the circuit and give the computer a lesser signal. You will also need to get a couple of feet of 16ga wire because the one that comes attached to the meter is not long enough. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spliced into the FRONT passenger side O2 sensor. There are four wires coming out of the sensor, one is purple. You can tap into the wire up by the PCM. Just follow the wires up so you are tapping into the right one. Behind the PCM, there is a large, 2" diameter or so hole, that you can run the wire through. Remove the passenger side kick panel to grab the wire, then route it to where ever you want to put it.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Thanks, That helps alot