Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

The worst clutch install yet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst clutch install yet!!!

So i had to replace my clutch...no prob..dropped tranny pulled bell and clutch...got a new monster3 put it right in. Went ahead and got a new slave..put it in..got everything together...the slave was bad...so i had to pull everything!! I spent $50 on fluid and when i drained it in an oil pan after the second time..the mowers came by and shot grass and dirt in it!!...then i get the old slave out and get a new one...as im puttn everything back together the ole cant find the right tool next to u comes in to play...but i finally got the tranny back in...now the driveshaft isnt setting right in the rear...and the torque arm is not lining up!!! WTH!!! I mean the tranny is in, the crossmember is in so why is the torque arm and driveshaft not lining up? And when i go to pull forward and backwards to check the clutch..it feels like the parking brake is on..but its not! I have been workn on this thing for 5 days straight by myself on jackstands in the parkinglot of my apt....im alittle agrrevated and tired of working on it!! Can anyone give me alittle insight on what it could b? MY brain is fried!! thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white/blue99ta
So i had to replace my clutch...no prob..dropped tranny pulled bell and clutch...got a new monster3 put it right in. Went ahead and got a new slave..put it in..got everything together...the slave was bad...so i had to pull everything!! I spent $50 on fluid and when i drained it in an oil pan after the second time..the mowers came by and shot grass and dirt in it!!...then i get the old slave out and get a new one...as im puttn everything back together the ole cant find the right tool next to u comes in to play...but i finally got the tranny back in...now the driveshaft isnt setting right in the rear...and the torque arm is not lining up!!! WTH!!! I mean the tranny is in, the crossmember is in so why is the torque arm and driveshaft not lining up? And when i go to pull forward and backwards to check the clutch..it feels like the parking brake is on..but its not! I have been workn on this thing for 5 days straight by myself on jackstands in the parkinglot of my apt....im alittle agrrevated and tired of working on it!! Can anyone give me alittle insight on what it could b? MY brain is fried!! thanks
First things first and that is you need to take break for a few hours then get back to it.

From reading your post, you need to jack the rear up some either by the snout (where the pinion is) or the cover to help the rear rotate up or down. The torque arm is what controls your pinion angle and axle wrap upon accel and decel. The best way I've found that works for me is to place the jack slightly towards the snout of the rear because it usually needs to rotate up. Place the front of your t/a in the clamshell loosely so you can slide it back and forth as needed and slowly jack up the rear. You should see it rotate upwards and the angle of the snout should start to duplicate the angle of the t/a. It can still be somewhat hard to get on just from road grime and grease/oil that has collected over time so a rubber mallet or hammer is good to have close. Once aligned slide your bolts in from the the top and fasten them down.

On your driveshaft, there are some cups that your u-joint will fit in to and I normally center them by feel and have yet to have any weird vibrations. Check to make sure the caps on your u-joint arent trying to slide off. Squeeze them together to make sure they're not about to fall off and try again. It's pretty much self explainatory but can be misaligned if just set in and bolted down.

As far as the e-brake feeling, from reading your post it sounds like you didn't put the t/a back on, and just wanted to test the clutch briefly. The rear will torque up tremendously causing it to feel like it barely moving because the rear is rotating upwards and not applying the torque to the wheels appropriately. Thats what the t/a helps to do.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the e-brake feeling, from reading your post it sounds like you didn't put the t/a back on, and just wanted to test the clutch briefly. The rear will torque up tremendously causing it to feel like it barely moving because the rear is rotating upwards and not applying the torque to the wheels appropriately. Thats what the t/a helps to do.

If he doesn't have the torque arm on, the universal joint is probably binding so bad that it won't rotate.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch
Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...update....after taking a very long break and afew coronas ro calm my nerves..i jacked up the rear and eveerything slide right on in!! So thanks for the help fellas..even though I feel like dumb@$$ for tryn to move the car wo the ta!! It was a long dayand wasnt thinkn! So now its back on the road and the monster3 and tick master feel sooo light! There is no pressure at at all when I push the clutch pedal....feels like its not even hooked up...but it works fine..shifts smoother than b4!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal man. Glad you got it back goin and glad we could help ya out.

Quick Reply: The worst clutch install yet!!!